Exit

Help! Framemaker 10 gives fatal error when printing as PDF

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

Framemaker 10 gives the

following fatal error when trying to Print as PDF or when tyring to Save as PDF. I have uninstalled and reloaded the Technical Suite software. My system is running XP with SP3 on a Duo Core 3.33 GB with 3.25 GB RAM. I need help! Artwitch

9-8-2011 10-11-20 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

As Error7103 says, the error msg you just posted indicates a Distiller error. In particular, it looks like you're using a Distiller joboption setting that could possibly be causing the Distiller error.

Here's an older forum posting about the "PDFX" options:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1235968

added link: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3795545

Because this forum's search capability is broken, to do a forum search you have to use a "site" search engine like google, this is what you could paste in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific version of FM, as shown in Help > About.

If you haven't yet done so, please check for updates here:

Updates - Adobe - FrameMaker : For Windows

Have you ever been able to create PDFs, or did this just start happening?

Have you installed any other s/w recently?

Have you rebooted your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: It is Version 10.0.1.402

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheila: Updated to 10.0.1.402 and also updated Acrobat Pro X to the latest and greatest. Installation is part of Technical Communications Suite. Have loaded, reloaded, and updated software this morning. A coworker can open and print PDF using the same files but I get the fatal error. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to the other questions, I have had this problem since installing Frame 10 as part of TCS. Yes, I have rebooted. No other s/w loaded recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reloaded and updated Acroba X

Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No new software has been loaded,

Yes, cold booted after reinstallation this AM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get this Application Error message:

9-9-2011 11-47-37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a temporary solution, you might be able to print to a Postscript file and then distill the PS file.

With the Adobe PDF printer set as your system default printer, when you do Ctl-p to print, there's a checkbox for "Print to file". When that's checked note whether there's a directory suggested (I personally like to put print files somewhere "rational" instead of in the Users or Documents and settings directory, but that's just me ...). Anyhow, note where it is going to save the file, and the name of the file. It will add the .ps, so you should only put in a different filename if you want.

Then open a file explorer window, navigate to the directory. Try to double-click the .ps file, that should send it to Distiller. If it doesn't, then open Distiller and drag the file into the distiller window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a solution...it still won't print. This is the error I get:

Started: Friday, September 09, 2011 at 12:13:39

Adobe PostScript software version: 3018.101

CID support library initialization completed.

Adobe PDF Settings file read error in PDFX4 2008.joboptions:

/CheckCompliance out of range

Start Time: Friday, September 09, 2011 at 12:13:39

Source: 1065_K-1_Print_Package.ps

Destination: C:\Documentation\2011\Guides\2011_1065_k1_print\1065_K-1_Print_Package.pdf

Adobe PDF Settings: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings\Standard.joboptions

%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: ) ]%%

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Distill Time: 00 Hour(s) : 00 Minute(s) : 00.188 Second(s)

• End of Job ****

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a solution...it still won't print. This is the error I get:

Error from Frame or from Distiller?

That looks like a Distiller log.

Can any other users distiller that same ps file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. My coworker with the same TCS v10 installation can print the file to PDF or distill using PS file. File is OK, which is why I did a reload this AM. But getting the same error message. Outta' ideas about what to do to fix this. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new, blank, FM document, just type in a few words, nothing else, and then do the Save As, Print to, and create a PS file and manually distill.

If that works, then the finger would seem to be pointing at a problem in your current file(s), but at least you would know where to start troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. That worked with the Print as PDF Document selected but coworker can print original book file in Frame10 with no problem, too. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the PDF/X joboptions issue, whenever you get a memory could not be read error, it suggests a possible hardware issue on your machine. Either you have a flakey RAM chip or there are errors in writing/reading to your paging file on the hard drive (i.e. HD errors; bad sectors, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I was leaning in that direction myself but before I disturb IT, I wanted to remove the other possibilities. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Error7103 says, the error msg you just posted indicates a Distiller error. In particular, it looks like you're using a Distiller joboption setting that could possibly be causing the Distiller error.

Here's an older forum posting about the "PDFX" options:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1235968

added link: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3795545

Because this forum's search capability is broken, to do a forum search you have to use a "site" search engine like google, this is what you could paste in the search box:

site:forums.adobe.com "framemaker" "pdfx4"

Here's a similar example showing other search terms:

AdobeGoogleSearch.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new "standard" file with all defaults and it seemed to work. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artwitch,

Was your version of FrameMaker 10 or TCS installed from DVD?

If so, please repeat the installation after copying the files to a hard disk or stick. There have been reports of »incomplete« installs resulting in lots of crashes that could be healed this way.

Apparently the Adobe installer uses the Microsft installer but they do not communicate very well with each other.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael: Frame10 was part of the Tech Comm. Suite installation that also included Acrobat Pro X. Installed and updated both this AM but still the same error. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I willing to try anything. L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your responses.

Creating a new "Standard" setting with all defaults fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines