Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Convert An Existing FM 2019 Document to An E-Book

New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello FM Community!

I'm a bit of a newbie to FM and have only been using it for about 6 months. I just completed updates to an existing textbook that is about 600 pages. Our partners would like to also offer the book as an e-book. What are the steps I need to take to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TOPICS
CMS , FAQ , Publishing , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with File > Publish and choose ePub or Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response! I was able to create an ePub document and open it in ADE. However, there are a LOT of formatting issues. Any idea how to resolve?

Also, I tried to publish to Kindle but when I do I get the following message: KindleGen Executable was not found. What does this mean?

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the bottom right of the Publish panel there is a button to edit the settings (.sts file) for your output type. This is where you can map paragraph/character formats, etc. to styles in your output.

The KindleGen executable basically converts an ePub file to Kindle format. It's best to get your ePub formatting looking like you want it because you can convert to Kindle via Amazon's website, or by downloading the KindleGen executable from Amazon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Epub is a super simple format which does not support a lot of formatting. You need to set up a test environment: Which software will read my epub/Which device is it to be read on etc.

When you have a proper idea of the reading circumstances for your epub, you can start taking a look at your files. Thing is... many readers are able enforce their own look and feel to your epub file. Meaning they can change font type, size, color etc. This means that your most important tasks are simplifying your document and taking care of its structure. When you have a simple style structure, you can work with it in the Publish Panels Styles settings.

Please ask if I may help you further!

/Bjørn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines