• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get the section number and page number in the table of contents to be a hyperlink in the pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my table of contents in the book pdf generated in Framemaker 12 the chapter names in the content column work as hyperlinks, but not the section numbers and page numbers. They do work in heading 4 and 5, but not in heading 1, 2 and 3. My table of contents consists of a content column, section column and page number column. Only the content column is a hyperlink and I would like also the section numbers and page numbers to work as links.

Regards,

Robert

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

It sounds like you may have a formatting change between the text of your content and the section/page numbers in your first three heading formats. FM uses the formatting boundaries to delimit the hypertext zone.

IIRC, Rick Quatro has a script that will fix this behaviour. You can contact him via: About – FrameAutomation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "column" do you mean you are using a sidehead column, or using tabs?

Can you show a screen shot of the TOC reference page?

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have a formatting change between the text of your content and the section/page numbers in your first three heading formats. FM uses the formatting boundaries to delimit the hypertext zone.

IIRC, Rick Quatro has a script that will fix this behaviour. You can contact him via: About – FrameAutomation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reference page is 11 pages. Screenshot:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert—that's the IX reference page. I'm looking for the TOC reference page. The names are on the status bar (bottom middle of your screen), just to the right of the page numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, I don't think I have a TOC reference page, but I do have List of Tables and List of  Figures reference pages. I did generate TOC as in the manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my table of contents in the book pdf generated in Framemaker 12

If Fm generated a table of contents for you, there will a TOC reference page in that specific chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM generated the table of contents, but there is no TOC reference page in the TOC chapter file, only IX reference page, List of Tables and List of Figures reference pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the TOC reference page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The contents column text works as hyperlinkw, but not the Section or Page columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert—I apologize for the delayed response, I was off on vacation with my family.

Yes, that was the TOC reference page, and Arnis was correct about the character formatting causing the issue. In FrameMaker, the entire ¶ will be clickable, unless the marker is inside a character format. In your example above, the hypertext marker is at the beginning of the line, and inside a character format, so Fm limits the clickable area (aka hotspot) to the bold or italic text. If you want the whole line to be clickable, either remove the character formatting, or go explore the script he linked to:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, and thank you for your patience and help. You were really helpful to guide me to understand what it all meant. I have a long deadline, so no problem with the delay.

Happy New Year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy new year, Robert!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines