• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how long is a piece of string … or, how much swap space do I need?

Advisor ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book with a whopping 948Kb of .fm files and a couple of full-page .eps graphics (diagrams). It normally distills to around 1.8Mb of .pdf, but I've not been able to distill it today. I suspect that the problem is, not enough space on the network drive where the source files live. How can I get a reasonable estimate of how much space I'll need to distill this/a book? so that I can start arm-wrestling with corporate support to be allowed enough-and-a-bit.

Thanks in advance for any help. FM12, in case this makes any difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using File > Package to collect the files to your local drive?

If that doesn't work, check out http://www.techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: It normally distills to around 1.8Mb of .pdf,

The more typical problem is the size of the .tps or .ps file that's generated during the process. FM12 shouldn't care, but if you are on a 32-bit version of Windows, you might expect problems when the .tps hits the 32-bit file size limit (and I don't recall if that's 2GB or 4GB, and it could break either at the filesystem or at the APIs).

The solution on this scenario would be either to reduce the raw document content, or upgrade to Win/64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> The more typical problem is the size of the .tps or .ps file that's generated during the process.

That's what I was concerned about, given the diminishing amount of free space on the network drive where the source files are, so I was wondering whether there's any handy formula for estimating the likely size of the .tps for a given book.

@ Matt – thanks for mentioning File > Package, which I'd not spotted before :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines