• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

is there a way to insert an hyperlink refering to a table ?

New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to repeat the same tables in my document, and I'd like to use an hyperlink or whatever could avoid me to correct these tables one by one in the future. Does somebody know how to do that ?

Thanks

valérie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Well, FM doesn't have "spot cross-reference", and even if it did, it might not allow an entire table to be treated as a source. Cross-reference by <$paratext> also doesn't pull in any anchored frames from the source.

There are a number of ways you could approach this, but which is optimal depends on the table complexity, and whether you need to have deep links into it.

1. For a really small table, the cell contents could all be Variables.
  2. For a simple table, it could be defined at one location in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, FM doesn't have "spot cross-reference", and even if it did, it might not allow an entire table to be treated as a source. Cross-reference by <$paratext> also doesn't pull in any anchored frames from the source.

There are a number of ways you could approach this, but which is optimal depends on the table complexity, and whether you need to have deep links into it.

1. For a really small table, the cell contents could all be Variables.
  2. For a simple table, it could be defined at one location in the Body flow (or on a Reference Page), and the table structure could be replicated as needed, with the clone contents, cell-by-cell, being Xrefs by paratext to the master cells at the defining instance.
  3. For a more complex table, it could be defined in an external file.fm, and imported as a Text Inset.
  4. A way I used to do it was to create and maintain the tables in an external spreadsheet (LibreOffice/OpenOffice Calc), exported to PDF, and imported in an Anchored Frame.

And it wouldn't be FM if there were only 4 ways to do it. And that's just for Unstructured Frame. In Structure, there may be further options, some much more elegant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, that's kine of you.

Valérie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

You could also use Silicon Prairie's Auto-Text plugin:

https://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html

With this plugin you can easily insert any often used text snippet (including tables).

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines