Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line appears to the right of images in version 9

Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the version 9 trial version to work on a short-term project. (The company already has two version 8 licenses). The original document was in version 8. I updated the files to version 9. Now in some of the chapters, a vertical line appears to the right of the images. I don't know how to get rid of the line. Any suggestions? Has anyone seen this before?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the line also in the PDF output?

For all images?

What format graphics?

Are these graphics in anchored frames?

What's the point release version (Help > About)? The latest should be 9.0p250. There have been three patches released since the original release. I'm not certain which version is in the download trial version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the line appears only in the PDF and not in the FrameMaker file. It doesn't appear for all graphics, yet I can't find any difference in the graphics and frames used. Most of the graphics are GIF. A few are PNG, though these do not show any lines. The graphics are in anchored frames (below current line). All graphics are imported as referenced files.

For the new chapter with PNG graphics, I re-imported the graphics and played with the frames until the lines went away. It was so sporadic that I wasn't sure what I did to make the lines disappear. When I re-printed the whole guide, I was surprised to see lines the other chapters.

The trial version is 9.0p196.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill,

You might want to try applying the patches (in order) for FM9. There were a number of issues related to graphics files addressed.

See: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on XP and haven't already installed it, there's a Microsoft HotFix that fixes lots of printer / PDF issues.

A must-have..

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=952909 (Gives details on the Hotfix)

http://support.microsoft.com/Hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=952909&kbln=en-us (Direct Download Link)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a FrameMaker issue, not related to PDF. If you zoom to 400% in Frame, you'll see the same artifiact. I updated to 9.0.3, and the problem seems to have disappeared. Now I've got to un-crop all those images... grrr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2010 Mar 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the previous poster mentioned upgrading FrameMaker 9.0 resolved the problem for me.

I had Versioln 9.0 p237 and after upgrading I have version 9.0 p250 and the line no longer appears in the source when zoomed to 400% or in the generated PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White lines in the PDF output may also be related to the PS/PDF output of FrameMaker.

In the PostScript/PDF output produced by FrameMaker/Windows, a solid white rectangle is placed underneath all bitmaps (all image formats except EPS). It has the same size as the bitmap, but in Acrobat/Reader, it may be displayed occasionally when the image is placed on a non-white background -- sometimes for a split second when you zoom in/out (especially when the page is busy).

You can easily see the solid white rectangle if you open the PDF in Acrobat and use the Object TouchUp tool to drag items (as you drag a bitmap,
you will see a solid white rectangle below it).

[ In FrameMaker 9, the solid white rectangle is not placed underneath the bitmap image when "Convert CMYK Colors to RGB" is turned off; however, having this setting turned off causes several other problems that could be more significant ]

Shlomo Perets, http://www.microtype.com

FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White lines in the PDF output may also be related to the PS/PDF output of FrameMaker.

The basenote in this thread didn't say, but I suspect the stray line was black. The black line artifact has been reported on multiple threads. No one seems to know if it's a Frame, PostScript, Distiller or Acrobat problem. There is a work-around.

I have seen it in my documents. Always on bitmap images. Always to the right. Visible at most, but not all magnifications in Windows Acroread. Never visible in print. Never visible in Acroread7 on Unix. I've been assuming it's a harmless apparition, and ignoring it.

Until today.

The frilly (bitmap) border of our warranty page showed up in a draft today, on Acroread7/Solaris, with 4 diagonal artifact lines (starting at the top right corner, and stroking down left, re-emerging at right when it reaches the left edge of the image).

And the same lines appear in print, from two different Ps printers. This is not acceptable.

Curiously, on Win7/64 Acrobat Pro9, the artifact is a single vertical line at the right of the image (so I suspect that this is just another presentation of the same bug).

As reported in another thread, sure enough, the affected bitmap is an odd number of pixels wide. Using an even pixel count reportedly suppresses the artifact.

In the instant case, increasing the canvas size by 1 pix in Photoshop made the problem go away (of course, one trial anecdote does not a statistic make).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using an even pixel count reportedly suppresses the artifact.

Apparently this is true only if the full width of the bitmap is visible, and there's nothing on top of it.

I'm seeing some cases today of even-pixel-width TIFFs showing up in Acrobat with the black line to the right ... sometimes.

These are mostly cases of a larger bitmap inside a smaller graphics frame (which amounts to a clipping path).

Where the line is visible, the (pixel_width - crop / res) appears to round to an odd pixel count. Where not visible, the displayed portion of the bitmap appears to round to an even pixel count.

I see another case where the entire 1992 pixel width of the main image is visible, but there's a Frame graphic straddling the right edge. The right edge of the main image has the line artifact, except under the Frame graphic.

This is not trivial to work around, but I suppose I'll have to if the artifact appears in print.

_______

The workflow, in this case, is Unix Frame 7.1 to Postscript on Unix, then Distiller 9 on Windows 7/64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changing the size of the image to an even number worked for us! Haven't seen it anymore....We use tiffs and jpgs....

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines