Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-column page layout has mis-aligned tables

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help!

I am using a multi column (2 column to be exact) master page layout and want to have a table that continues on the same page.  I have two problems:

1. The table continuation does not align with the table next to it. (The rows do not align.)

2. The table title repeats on both tables, even though I want the title to span across both columns.

I have played around with all of the settings.  The table title is selected to "span across all columns" (I am not using side heads) and the title still repeats itself.

I have played with each objects character and paragraph settings, as well as the table settings and nothing seems to work.  Any ideas?  I have a tight deadline so any help is greatly appreciated!  Here is a screenshot:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A compromise is required. If you want:

• two columns to appear next to two columns with
  • the tops aligned evenly and
  • a title that spans both

Then you will have to set up a five column table, and format it to look the way you want.

Screenshot 2018-09-28 07.33.14.png

Screenshot 2018-09-28 07.35.36.png

Screenshot 2018-09-28 07.35.23.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is close to what I am after, but I cannot get the table to stay on the same page.  I want the two small columns to flow to the other half of the page when they reach the bottom, as opposed to starting on a new page.  Any idea how to do that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alexia:

I apologize for the long delay—I've been out of the office for a few weeks.

The work-around I suggested is not going to flow the text—you will need to use cut/paste to move the content into the correct position.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting the paragraph containing your table anchor to span across columns? Your change in alignment is likely caused by the table anchor sitting at the top of column one.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual trick is to:

1. Spin off version of the anchoring paragraph, perhaps named TableAnchor
  2. Set the Space:Below to the negative of the LineSpacing.
  3. In Table Designer, set the Space:Above to that same negative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines