• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as PDF (in FM 10) renders all body text in bold. How can I make it render my text as is?

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a unstructured FM document that is mostly text, with a couple of images. Most of the text is normal body text with some words highlighted in bold. However, when I use the Save as PDF option to create a PDF from this document, all my text is rendered in bold in the PDF. How can I stop that from happening. I have other documents that render fine. It's just this one that won't.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which font was specified in the FM document? What was your default printer in FM when the PDF was created? Did you use the CMYK or RGB option? Have you checked what the font used is in the PDF using Acrobat (Content Editing > Format)? Is your FM10 version all patched up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Arnis,

Many thanks for your swift reply. Here are the answers to your questions one by one:

1. Which font was specified in the FM document? – AgltCentITC TT
  2. Default printer in FM when the PDF was created – custom printer settings (which do work for other FM documents I’m working with) If you are interested in a particular setting please let me know and I’ll specify that.
  3. CMYK vs RGB? – I don’t know. If I tick the Convert CMYK Colors to RGB option in the PDF Setup dialog it crashes Distiller and I get no output at all.
  4. The font in the PDF is AgilentCenturyITC TT – Bold, for which it tells me it doesn’t have a system font. For editing it suggests the Bold version of the font that is specified in the FM document (AgltCentITC TT – Bold).
  5. Is FM 10 up to date? – Checked for updates and it only showed me the Adobe Applications Manager update, so I guess I’m good on that front. But then I’ve been having this problem for some time and was able to get around it by doing edits with Acrobat in an earlier version of the document that had luckily produced fine. But now I have to make a larger edit that I cannot do simply in Acrobat. Hence the post on the forum.

Many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default printer for any FM session should be the AdobePDF printer instance. You could use the freebie SetPrint utility (available from: Sundorne Communications - SetPrint) to ensure that this is always correct.

Your Distiller joboptions should specify that job be cancelled if the font can't be embedded.

It sounds like the specified font is not in the locations that Distiller is aware of, so it couldn't embed it. You should check the specified font folders in the Distiller options [it only looks where you tell it to].

Check the actual FM update location for the latest patches [Adobe - FrameMaker : For Windows]. The latest version of FM10 was 10.0.2.

Something is not correctly configured if the RGB option causes crashes [this might be alleviated if the AdobePDF is used as the printer instance]. With FM10, the RGB route the preferred option as there were issues with CMYK route [that option should only be used for creating press-ready output].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With FM10, the RGB route the preferred option as there were issues with CMYK route [that option should only be used for creating press-ready output].

To prepare OP for the happy day when he or she migrates, and to make sure I'm doing what I ought … is this still the case for FM12?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You only should use the CMYK route when preparing press-ready PDFs (or if you a Pantone calibrated printer and are using spot colours).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines