• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sort order for Simplified Chinese (pinyin)

Explorer ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 10 (Windows)

It seems that if I specify the sort order for Simplified Chinese (pinyin) on the reference page,

index entries that start with "i" and "v" are not shown under their corresponding group titles.

(I assume that this may be due to the fact that pinyin words never start with these letters.)

If I have an entry that starts with an English word like "IP," it appears under the "J" group.

I want the entry to appear under the "I" group. How can I do this?

I have the IX reference page set up as follows:

GroupTitlesIX paragraph

Symbols[\];Numerics[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z;

SortOrderIX paragraph

<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics><$pinyin>

I've also tried:

SortOrderIX paragraph

<$symbols><$numerics><$pinyin>

Thanks in advance.

Tak Osato

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to piggyback on this issue; I am also trying to set up Simplified Chinese index but the sort order came out different from what my linguist suggested.

Tak, have you found any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mahat_sf,

No, I have not. I am manually editing the index every time I update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I am manually editing the index every time I update it.

Seems like it would be a modest one time effort, but less on-going effort, to use the trailing [sort-hint] markup on the Index Marker > Marker Text to work-around what appears to be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error7103,

You message went right over my head. Could you elaborate on the work-around that you mentioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search FM Help on:

framemaker index marker building blocks

There are a number of markups (building blocks) you can use in the Marker Text of a Marker of type Index, such as : (colon) ; (semicolon) [ ] (brackets) <$startrange> <$endrange> <$nopage> <$singlepage> <Character Format Name> <Default Para Font>

Brackets in the Marker Text are used for sorting instead of the plaintext.

Marker Text:

$sort[sort]

causes "$sort" to show up under "S" in the index instead of under Symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying, but it won't work because as soon as you specify <$pinyin> in SortOrderIX paragraph of the reference page,

index group entries I and V disappear.

Even if I were to specify

IP[IP]

there is no "I" index group to put this entry under.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I sort of found a workaround, but it may lead to other problems, so use it at your own risk.

It also requires a bit of work.

The idea is to use the sort order for Japanese by specifying the following in the IX reference page.

Symbols[\ ];数字[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z;あ;い;う;え;お;か;き;く;け;こ;さ;し;す;せ;そ;た;ち;つ;て;と;な;に;ぬ;ね;の;は;ひ;ふ;へ;ほ;ま;み;む;め;も;や;ゆ;よ;ら;り;る;れ;ろ;わ;ん;[ ]

<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics><$kana>

Then, you need to capitalize the first letter in the bracket used for sorting for every index entry.

Example:

Instead of

画面[hua4mian4]

specify

画面[Hua4mian4]

Now, I'm wondering if there is a way to do a search and replace on all index entries to capitalize the first letter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines