Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Frame for an iPad

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

What size text frame would be used for a document to be viewed in a PDF on an iPad? 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can always zoom in and out on your smartphone or tablet.

In Acrobat you can set the magnification, when the PDF is opened, e.g. Fit Page or Fit Width. However, I do not know, which PDF viewer on the tablet will observe this setting.

When the PDF is opened with Acrobat, there is also an icon like a drop to switch to Liquid Mode. This is a more smartphone-friendly view.

And various models have different sizes and display resolutions.

Therefore I would experiment which size and which zoom factor you need to get your text and graphics in a decent magnification.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ERJ:

I grabbed this screen shot from InDesign—which offers iPad presets—to illustrate what Winfried's answer. There are multiple iPads of varying resolutions:

in.png

If you are designing for one of these in particular you can specify the page size in pixels using File > New > Document > Custom.

Otherwise, just aim for the general aspect ratio and know that the user can download a free copy of Adobe Reader and control the view options. I'm highlighting Liquid mode and the View options below in Adobe Reader on my iPad.

ipad.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Thank you for taking the time for such a complete answer to my question!

Regards,

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presuming this is classic paged PDF (vs. the nascent Liquid mode), there's actually two questions:

1. Aspect Ratio
  2. Font size relative to page

When the end user zooms the PDF to full page on screen, does the page fill the screen without spill, and can they read it?

On AR, classic (US) page size is 8.5×11in., or 1.29:1, or a content region of 7.5×10in with 0.5in margins (classic Academy/SDTV 1.33:1), which matches pretty much no mobile screens in use today. Phones and tablets are all over the place on AR, but mainly at HDTV (1.78:1) and wider (often for no sane reasons).

For a current project that will definitely be PDF and viewed on mobiles, might be printed, but won't be HTML yet, I selected a page size of half-letter (5.5×8.5in) with margins resulting in a content region of 4.25×7.69in, or a resulting content AR of 1.71:1, close to HD. With a body font size of 10pt, a full page should be legible on a lot of phones and larger devices, even those lacking Apple's extra fine pixel pitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to give me this information!

Regards,

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines