• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update TOC change the police... How to define the TOC police ?

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I made my TOC

sarah34109135ewo0_0-1713262866621.png

but each time I update the book, it goes back to the defautl police and color. 

How can I define my police for the TOC ? 

Thanks 

Sarah 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think something is being lost in translation. Are you applying some formatting to your generated TOC document in some way that is getting lost when you re-generate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I don't know. I did generate the TOC and from there I update it but each time I am losing the police... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "losing the police" mean? Can you explain what exact steps you are doing? (maybe with screenshots?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time I update the book, I got this : 

sarah34109135ewo0_0-1713270481821.png

instead of my text in green as defined by my style "Body_TOC"... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, I'm a bit colour-blind so I didn't notice that your text was in green in that first screenshot. IIRC, the generated TOC will grab its paragraph tag settings from the paragraph_tagTOC elements you choose to include. So if your source doc has a Body tag that's green, it will use the same colour in the BodyTOC tag. But I could be wrong on that because I don't deal with a lot of formatting in my TOCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to meet via zoom so I can take a look at this? Please contact me offlist: rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: … I update it but each time I am losing the …

How are you updating it?
If you are applying overrides to the generated ToC Body text, that's assured to be lost upon re-generation.

ToC formatting is controlled by apects of the …toc.fm file: the TOC Reference Page contents, the Paragraph Catalog, the Character Catalog, and in this case the Color Catalog might also be involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah:

The word police in english is like gendarmes in French. That accounts for the inital confusion. It looks like you meant font or typeface

A table of contents is a generated file in FrameMaker, and generated files follow a set of rules, listed here:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-fil...

We need to memorize rules and abide by them, otherwise the generated files are a nightmare to work with.

When you generate a TOC for the first time, you will need to define the pre-assigned paragraph styles for each level listed. For example, if the words "1. Presentation of FrameMaker et liens utiles" is a Heading1 in the source file, it will be copied to the TOC and assigned the style name Heading1TOC. Your job is to reformat Heading1TOC to look the way you want using Paragraph Designer. This includes a trip to the reference pages to add a tab stop between <$paratext> and <$pagenum> and the setting the tab positions in Paragraph Designer > Basic. See https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-adding-tabs-to-a-table-of-contents/

Here's another good resource to help you learn how to control the content so that updating the book doesn't cause you to lose the formatting. 

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/using-framemaker/user-guide/topic_formatting-lists-and...

If you get stuck on a step, you're welcome to come back and ask us specific questions. Feel free to ask in French if that's easier for you. We have a translate button. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder - was I partially correct then? If I didn't define how Heading1TOC should look in the TOC, would I get it appearing the same as my Heading1 in the .fm files? I don't create enough TOCs from scratch to remember how it goes....😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Jeff_Coatsworth!

That's what InDesign would do, but not FrameMaker.

When somebody creates a generated file for the very first time in a new book, FrameMaker makes a copy of the first non-generated file in the book window and adds the list or index content to the that new file. Because I teach this all the time, I know that it defaults to Times New Roman 12 pt, Black. But I wasn't sure if that was based on something in the first non-generated file. I just tested it and it seems like it doesn't matter how the text in the non-generated file is formatted—it still defaults to Times New Roman 12 pt, Black. It's certainly possible that it is picking up that information from someplace else in that file, but I can't figure out where. 

The important thing, of course, is that in the new generated file, we need to redefine the generated styles to look the way we want in Paragraph Designer. Once that's done, we can update the book as much as we want and the paragraphs will always remember their formatting. 

In @sarah34109135ewo0's case—without seeing her file—I'm guessing the text is formatted using Apply and not Update Style and that's being lost after each update. Sarah: if I'm guessing correctly, Apply introduces overrides, and Update Style updates the definition for the entire document. I'm guessing you've already met with Rick, so I wasn't going to go into more detail but of course, if you need more information, please reach out to us.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines