• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using variables in Index markers

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge unstructured FM document, which contains a lot of Index markers. These markers exist in different chapters (files) of a book. I've created a variable, which is already applied and used in "body" of all files. However, I cannot find solution of adding such variable to Index markers.

Will anybody help?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Pavel Noga

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to add a variable into an index marker? What a great question—and not one I've ever run across before—but I don't think that is within FrameMaker's feature set. If you copy the variable and paste it, it comes in as text. Thinking out loud... you can add variables to template frames and background frames, but I can't think of any place you can add them.

I'll be curious to see what others come up with. Worse case, you could always put in a feature request: Tracker.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't there a 3rd-party plug in that does stuff like that - IXGen or Timesavers or something from Cudspan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked IXGen before answering and saw this, which I took to mean no:

Do not place FrameMaker objects, such as variables or anchored frames,

into expanded marker text. Otherwise, the collapsed marker text will

divide into multiple markers where the object(s) appears.

It's the only occurrence of the word "variable" in the user guide. I don't know Cudspan, so maybe? It's a great idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have done this by having multiple index markers and applying conditions. Change the variable text in each marker and apply a condition. When you publish, push the variable and show/ hide the conditions. I use IXGen too to manage all of the markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines