Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable to Pull Book Name?

Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I document a modular system that uses some of the same screens between the different modules (and each module is a book because companies can pick and choose which modules they want to purchase and we only give them documentation for those modules). I don't want to have a separate file for each book (placing the book name in the header for each) because if that one screen changes I have to change each file in each book (which defeats single-sourcing). Therefore, I want to one file with a variable that will read the name of the book file I am currently regenerating. The only other solution I could think of was to make the header text contain all headings, then create a conditional tag for each book name.................clunky to say the least, and I already have more conditional tags than I'd like (4 of them in each book).

BTW I use FM10, unstructured.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand with this!

Melissa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa,

You could create a  MIF snippet (a simple text file) to import into your "book" files' that will contain the name, e.g.

<MIFFile 10.00>

<VariableFormats

<VariableFormat

<VariableName `MyBookName'>

<VariableDef `The title of this book'>

> # end of VariableFormat

> # end of VariableFormats

Then just import this file into every file of the current book when re-generating before output.

Alternatively, if you aren't using global variables such as <$volnum>, then you could just define the book name here using the "Text" numbering option and setup <$volnum> in your heading/footer entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

My predicament was the same as Melissa's. I have these 5-10 page Framemaker files (segmented frames) which remain segmented until I have to publish them. That is when I create a "book" and add all these segmented frames to it.

So, I have this one source (the MIF file) where I can edit once before I print to PDF and the Book's name updates accordingly on all files.

I fail to follow the suggestion below. Would you be kind enough to elaborate it?

Alternatively, if you aren't using global variables such as <$volnum>, then you could just define the book name here using the "Text" numbering option and setup <$volnum> in your heading/footer entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the options in the Numbering Properties window for the various levels (Volume, Chapter, Section, etc.) is to use a plain Text format. This would then allow you define (just once) using the Volume Numbering building block a text string that can be used in all files of a book. You just define it for the first file of the book and then set all subsequent files to Continue Numbering from Previous File.

Book_Volnum_text.png

There also is a plug-in called BookVars available from Leximation (see: Leximation: BookVars ) that allows you to control variables across the entire file set of a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ingenious!! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines