• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Anamorphic Lens Support (De-squeeze)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot video using the Red Epic camera, which shoots super high resolution video. I often pull high-res photos from the camera and use them in Lightroom. However, I'm hoping to add a feature that supports anamorphic lenses. These lenses shoot natively-stretched pixels. Meaning, the images are stretched vertically 2:1. It's a classic way to shoot movies, and I wish Lightroom supported a way to select the pixel aspect ratio so the images can be viewed undistorted. Currently, I have to stretch them in Photoshop and export. Which is a bummer because the Red Camera's raw files are supported in LR, and I would love to use those files straight from the camera rather than make new ones. Anyone else agree?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it will be great if we can process anamorphic pictures with Lightroom. to correct a squeeze factor of x2 or x1,33.
my workflow here needs to process each file through Photoshop.
not a difficult feature to implement as a cursor exist in lens correction but it's too restrictive

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a pretty easy fix because Lightroom already has it part-way built in. In DEVELOP, under LENS CORRECTIONS > MANUAL the ASPECT slider only reaches -100. If it were to reach -500 people using any anamorphic lens could correct their aspect ratio very quickly in LR instead of the laborious and time consuming third party options. Please do this Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my +1 to this request. It would be lovely to be able to correct a 2x horizontal squeeze. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to add that a 1.5x would be useful, too. Would love this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With anamorphic lenses now even available for mobile phone cameras (Moondog / Moment) I would very much lke to see this across all flavours of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. Especially for the Lightroom Mobile (iOS app)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking every photo into Photoshop is a huge pain if you ever go back and change your mind about the raw parameters.  As someone else mentioned, there is already an aspect slider.  This just needs to be extended to allow for common desqueeze ratios like 2x and 1.33x

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so Adobe dev team, is it possible to implement this in order to help and optimize our workflow?
just modify the aspect slider with a guide at 2x and 1,33x
please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my mind the slider should rest at 0 in the middle for no distortion. Negative numbers on the left and positive numbers on the right, with the ability to type in any aspect ratio needed. Different anamorphic lenses are going to continually be introduced, including 1.8x format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like this too, it's a pain going to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, just allow that Aspect slider in Transform tab to go to -500 or so from the current -100.
I mean, the feature is already there, enhance it a bit, that’s all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see this feature aswell

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some searching I found a good workaround for this:

I only tried it on Windows, but you should be able to do it in a similiar fashion on Mac:

1. Download exiftool (https://exiftool.org/)

2. On Windows you have to extract it, rename the .exe to "exiftool.exe" and place it in  "C:/Windows"

3. Import your anamorphic images to lightroom as "DNG" (!important!).

4. Open the folder with your images and create a new textfile.

5. Paste this in the new textfile:

for %%f in (*.*) do exiftool -DefaultScale="1.33 1.0" -overwrite_original %%f

This command will change the pixel aspect ratio of all images in the folder it is executed in. In this example 1.33x was used, if you have another aspect ratio you can change it.
For example for 2x change it to -DefaultScale="1.33 1.0" ot -DefaultScale="2.0 1.0"

6. Change the file ending of the textfile to ".bat", for example "desqueeze.bat".

7. Execute the batfile in the folder with your images.

8. Restart Lightroom and your images should appear in the correct aspect ratio. At least in the Develop-Tab, for some reasen they are shown in the original aspect ratio in the library.

You can use the .bat file in any folder you want so you can save it for later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I much appreciate the workaround tip. I think you hit the nail on the head by calling it the Pixel Aspect Ratio, because that's really what it is. Used to deal with that all the time when working with standard-definition video's .9 pixel aspect ratios in Premiere and After Effects. Hopefully Adobe adds similar functionality so we I can keep my .r3d files in their native format without converting to DNG or making new files in a roundabout trip to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was wondering if there is any way to have that little feature in Lightoom classic, taking anamorphic photos in photoshop limit me to procede with all the changes i want to do directly in lightroom and it's very uncomfortable, any plugins either? 

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR doesn't directly support photos taken with anamorphic lenses.  You could check out this method for preprocessing photos before importing them into LR:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroomcamera-raw-anamorphic-lens-... 

Also, please add your constructive opinion to this feature request:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroomcamera-raw-anamorphic-lens-...

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do. Product developers rarely participate in this forum and won't see your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

please add this feature. Or at least allow the ASPECT slider to go to values like 500 instead of 100.

Best would be to be allowed to input the desqueeze ratio to a box in distortion correction or something. Like 1.3x 1.5x 1.6x 1.8x 2x etc.

Sirui just released a 50mm T2.9 1.6x anamorphic single focus lens, it is only $1500/1500€. It is the first affordable full frame anamorphic lens, and I plan to use it for general photography. Sirui will release more lenses, and probably other manufacturers will follow.

I see the desqueeze function an important feature in future. No one took anamorphic photos when lenses were $40000 and huge or required crazy rigs, dual focus rings or some stuff like that. The Sirui is "cheap" by photographer's standards, available and should work just like a normal lens. The only real problem will be editing the photos and making them look like they are supposed to be.

Please add desqueeze function to Lightroom Classic. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

please add this feature.

Hello.

You need to tell Adobe by placing your feature request in the proper portion of this Adobe Community. The proper place is the "Ideas" section of the Lightroom Classic forum. Your request placed here will not be read and acted upon by the Lightroom Classic development team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, this feature have been requested from 5 years and adobe have no intention to add it to lightroom.

Shame, because it really would be great to have that functionality finally in Lightoroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the way it works, some feature requests don't get implemented. I doubt Adobe has the manpower to implement every single feature request they receive. Lightroom Classic would balloon to unfathomable size and complexity (and possibly slowness) if they were able to implement every feature ever requested.

But it is also true that if enough people request the feature (by placing the request in the "Ideas" section of this forum), then it is more likely that Adobe will actually implement the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quite new with this "exiftool", especially on Mac OS. Would you please advise about how to desqueeze anamorphic photos with this tool on Mac.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a simple fix. There's already an "Aspect" slicer under the Transform tab in the Develop module. It currently stretches the image from -100 to 100, whatever that means. But it doesn't go far enough. Seems like the math exists to make this work easily. Just extend this slider to unstretch more, and change the slider's label to a multiplier so we can enter 1.3x, 1.8x, 2x, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*slider not slicer. Hehe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES NOW! light room actully resqueeze the image from photoshop and desqueeze and destorts the watermark.  JUST add the "export to jpg" in Premier Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate