• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color temperature below 2000K

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color temperature below 2000K. It would be extremely useful for infrared photography. By the way, Capture One already allows it.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
21 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also adjust temperature using the camera calibration section. In fact, I know of one person who prefers using RGB over temp/tint, and uses cam-cal exclusively for white balance adjustment.

One option: create infrared preset that has a cool bias to cam-cal, then go the rest of the way with the temp/tint sliders.

Note: presets lump the camera profile in with the shadow-tint/rgb sliders, but you can take the camera profile out using a text editor (then restart Lightroom), to have an rgb preset that will work with any profile.

Another option: create a DNG color profile for infrared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to use calibration controls, but didn't got results like in Capture One. Maybe I did something wrong. The same for profile. It worth to try again.
But the point is the color temperature is much more user-friendly control. And if we have temperature over 20,000K, why we can't get lower than 2000K? Defenitely this is artificial limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand enough to know why there is any limit at all. Is there a 0K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's a temperature of the ideal black-body radiator, it can be 0K. The candle light is starting from ~1500 K, the dark red glow of the heated metal have temperature about 800 K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Alex. NX2 also has very constrained temperature ranges - I never understood why one can not adjust "all the way" in both directions, whatever that would mean...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, thanks for idea about acr profile. I've tried again and this time successfully. Results before and after: http://alex-krylov.ru/2011/05/05/ir-a...

But I still think the lower color temperature would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom (and Photoshop) white balance color temperature can't go below 2000K, which is a major pain for IR photography (and for candlelight and low-power tungsten too). Other software can do this, why not Adobe's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, candlelight cannot be done right in LR...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it can be done quite easily - see my first reply post up top.

Also, I've just made it "child's play" to edit color profiles for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think would be potentially useful to have a color temperature below 2000 and a tint below -150 for InfraRed Photography.

As for example.. in this step-by-step it suggests you minimize out the color temperature.
http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2...

But this still makes you dependent on going B&W, though if it went lower on the scale and you were doing it for effect would it not be useful vs. being constrained to just B&W too or even if B&W useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a lot of the light sources that we photograph at night have extremely low color temperatures. Sodium vapor lights for example. If we could choose lower color temps we would be able to balance these lights in a way that we cannot do now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White balance for IR photography.

While somewhat "niche", it is annoying that Adobe products don't support a more expanded white balance that would include IR images.  Even with a custom white balance set in camera, Adobe products don't support the more extreme white balances required for IR photography.  Having to import RAW files into Nikon Capture NX-D and then convert them to TIFF before importing into LR is not optimal from either storage or workflow perspectives.  Please consider a fix to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is aggravating for sure.

I use the following work around.

https://youtu.be/ke8If0LXWQ0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> it is annoying that Adobe products don't support a more expanded white balance that would include IR images.

they do - RFTM how to handle WB for IR @ http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_EditorDocumen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to use a custom DNG profile for white balance as outlined in the article DP HOME has posted in this thread. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work anymore with the newer CC versions. What to do now? The DNG profile editor always throws the error "cannot complete operation" and even with a workaround (converting DNG to lowest version) eventually saves broken profile files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using an Adobe DNG Profile installer downloaded prior to January 2018 it may be causing your issue.  At the below link the installer has been updated. Yes, it still says September 2012, but it has been updated with the new installer. Give it a try!

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

DNG Profile Editor (September 2012)

The DNG Profile Editor is a free software utility for creating or editing camera profiles.

Read more (PDF, 3.93 MB)
Download:  MacWin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

At first, the new version also had some problems with the DNG images I loaded (still "cannot complete operation"). But then I tried this:

I downloaded the "DNG converter" and set my Camera (a Pentax K-5) to save Pentax PEF files (instead of DNG, those didn't work either). I set the converter to save the PEF as the lowest DNG version possible and loaded it into the DNG profile editor. It worked! No more program errors.

Also, the profile has been recognized by Camera Raw and now I am able to work on IR photos again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you finally got it to work! I have reported the issue to Adobe Engineering, but at least for now you have a workaround.

You may also find it helpful to use the new Enhanced camera profile tools. This allows applying settings inside the camera profile. In the case of IR images you can set WB to 2000 Temp, which will be applied in addition to the manual WB setting in the Basic panel. You can also add other settings as well. Below is the download link with instructions and an example on creating Enhanced Camera profiles.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/profile-sdk/ACR_and_Lightroom_Profile_SDK.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thank you. I have been searching for a solution since moving to the K3iii. This is the only solution that seems to work. I think that the Editor does not like the Pentax camera DNG from PEF version but is happy with the Converters own version of the same process. (I have in the past created the profiles for other Pentax cameras without issues!). This might help people with people with other camera makes attempting to load RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

I work as a professional photographer and for the last 5 years I have shot a lot of analogue jobs.

I like to tune my negatives myself without using Negative Pro ect. but have not been able to do so in LR classic or LR because the White balance Temp. slider only goes down to 2000K. We need the White balance temp. slider to go down to 1000K, to be able to set the right white balance on many of my negatives. Capture 1 has this possiblity, but I would like to move back to LR classic for many reasons. So me with many other film shooters would really appreciate this. This is actually so important to me, it will decide if I can move back to LR or not. Thank you in advance! 🙂

Yours Sincerely

Jarle H. Hvidsten 

Votes

Translate

Translate