• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add Focus Stacking to Merge

Participant ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firmware Version 4.0 for the Olympus E-M1 has just come out with in-camera focus stacking. Actually this is limited to a maximum 8 shot focus bracket. However, if one is happy to do the focus stacking in PP, the camera will do up to a 99 shot focus bracket. No it is not a typo, I mean 99 as in 1 less than a hundred. Photoshop and a myriad other third party apps will do that or so I'm told. So, isn't it time to have focus stacking in LR? I have no desire to stuff around with two photographic apps. So let's make a noise to get focus stacking into LR proper!Regards,Bob Single Shot, 120mm f5.6 Focus Stacking of 150 shots, 120mm f5/6PS: Note, I've amended my comments above from earlier today.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
41 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that we have a whole menu for "Photo Merge" in Lightroom (CC/6), some more options could be available for merging photos.

For example, Focus Stacking for macro photos, or "Star Stacking" (image alignment and merge with median filter) for astrophotography would be very useful to have, and it seems that most (if not all) of the machinery is already available in Lightroom.

Also, object removal through image stacking seems to be possible with current existing filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was remiss of me not to give credit where credit is due. The photos I posted above came from the Olympus site http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en-au/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I miss in LR6 is focus stacking. I would like to see Adobe implement it in the future. This is useful for both macro photography and landscape photography. It would be a natural extension of the current "Photo Merge" feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my top request for Lightroom and seems a natural progression to HDR and panoramic merging added with Lr6

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time LR user this is also my top request.  I'm with the prior poster, HDR and panoramic merging were at the time of the last release my most desired features - well done Adobe.  Keep on a roll and add focus stacking in a RAW workspace please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus stacking in LR and DNG, please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, however, I'm not sure if it is even physically possible in raw but I hope I'm wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible, since DNG is (most often) a RAW file after demosaic. It is somewhat similar to Panorama and HDR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth focus stacking isn't in LR baffles me. It's the only feature LR 6 is missing that I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've wanted to do this for so long. No reason not to have it in "photo merge" when HDR and panorama exist. Focus stacked HDR DNGs would be AWESOME! It's not just for macro, many landscape photos require it when shooting close to a subject and using the sharpest aperture. It would also be great if you could replace moving objects like people and vehicles. Third, it could be used to combine star trail shots into DNGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With more cameras including option to automatically stack focus it would nice to be able to preform this stack directly within LR and not need to round trip to PS. Especially if it could create a DNG similar to pano and HDR options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it worked inside of LR as a DNG, and was reliable, this would be very very nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does even the Lightroom crew care about such features requests? It will be great to have this feature on board. However seems like they never responded to this thread saying whether it will be done in the future or impossible. I'm sure they could re-use the Photoshop's focus stacking algorythms (after some modifications) in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone actually expect Adobe/LR to respond to this? I have heard they're coming out with a version that has layering; which would give them even less wiggle room to not have focus stacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will we have focus stacking in Lightroom?

Quand auront nous focus stacking dans Lightroom ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JeanPierre33,

We're not sure under which scenario you're referring to the focus stacking in Lightroom.

Could you please add your valuable feedback and vote to this feedback discussion Lightroom: Ability to do focus stacking | Photoshop Family Customer Community  so that our engineers can look into it?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that in a future update of lightroom, it is possible to make the focus sctacking as we can do panorama. It woud be easier than going to photoshop, which does not always work well for that.

Message du 04/01/19 15:22> De : "Akash Sharma" > A : "Jean Pierre Verduzier" > Copie à : > Objet : Focus stacking> >

Focus stacking

created by Akash Sharma in Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app - View the full discussion

Hi JeanPierre33,We're not sure under which scenario you're referring to the focus stacking in Lightroom.Could you please add your valuable feedback and vote to this feedback discussion Lightroom: Ability to do focus stacking | Photoshop Family Customer Community  so that our engineers can look into it?Thanks,

Akash

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10848196#10848196 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10848196#10848196

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.> You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus Stacking is my number 2 on my wishlist for Lr. 

Number 1 iis for Adobe to spend a couple dot cycles and just FIX bugs.  There are several major ones that have been around for awhile.  Bugs in the Library search results kind of defeat the claim of Lr being a DAM.  If you can’t depend on search results what good is it.  A whole bunch of other irritating bugs need fixed..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Adobe have recently added Panoramas, HDR, and HDR Panoramas to ACR, please do add Focus Stacking as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

luminance masking with layers ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to be a Downer, but as Groucho said, “I’m against it”. The more features you put in an app the more RAM it takes and the more likely it is to crash (think of a juggler with 100K balls in the air, and then add one more)! Boom! Round-tripping to Photoshop works great! If you’re really serious about it, get Helicon Focus, which is very fast and gives you a DNG back in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a request for focus stacking to be added to Lightroom Classic’s features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ACR. As was done with Photo Merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised and terribly disappointed that we still don't have focus stacking in LR. 90% of my PS usage is for this purpose. Doing everything in LR is a big plus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous statement: BOOM! Helicon Focus works great as a LR plugin, and is 10X faster than Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate