• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow Collapse of Crop tools to make Geometry features always available.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated with the changed placement of the Geometry features in Adobe Camera Raw 16.02.0.1763 for Mac Ventura 13.6.3. Rather than being in the Edit controls (where they've always been), they're now located in the Crop tool functions. Of course, this placement doesn't make sense because it's not a Cropping function, but my main concern is that because the Cropping tools are always at the top of the window, the Geometry tools are not always displayed if the window is not fully maximized. (See screenshot attached.) Please either return the Geometry tools to the Edit section, where they logically make sense. If not that, at least allow for the "collapsing" of the Crop tools so that the entire Geometry panel is visible, as it was before.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
14 Comments
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, the new changes were unnessary.

I also hate that the 'Constrain crop' checkbox has been moved down the bottom of the tab, almost hidden, it took me far too long to locate where it had gone.

I also find it strange that now when we use the Geometry tab the image is shrunk down and no longer appears at 100% viewing size.

Almost every update just slows down the workflow, it's so tidious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This move also means that the grid is not accessable when using geometry - which is exactly when I need it (architectural photographer). Really wish they'd move it back. I just spent 45 minutes I needed for working to explain the issue in chat, de-install the updated version of Camera Raw, and re-install the old version. No idea how I'll even know that the issue's been fixed and I can update again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please revert back to the main-menu location for the Geometry tools. I absolutely need to be able to use/see the "grid" while making Geometry changes. If this unwelcome change cannot be reversed, tell please us how to unistall the Feb 2024 Raw Editor upgrade and re-install the previous version with Geometry tools in the main menu where they were previously located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I complete agree with these comments on the Geometry tool.  If Adobe wants to move it, that is fine.  WHY NOT TELL US WHERE YOU MOVED IT!  I spent an hour looking for it.  Having it as sub set of the crop tool makes no sense.  I don't crop in ACR.  But more importantly, the Geometry tool in 16.2 no longer has access to the grid tool.  It is greyed OUT!  If you are making very precise perspective adjustment, which the Geometry tool can do, it is necessary to have an easily adjustable grid tool as well.  They go hand in hand.  PLEASE restore the Geometry tool to what it was in previous versions of ACR.  For now I have to down grade to 16.1 in order to do my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe chat support was able to walk me through de-installing the new CR and re-installing the old one. Not exactly the way I wanted to be spending time I should have been getting actual editing done, but at least now it works like it used to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also uninstalled the current version and reinstalled the old version so that I could keep working; however, I know that's not a long-term solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting the Adobe Camera Interface to Compact Mode by going to the Camera Raw Preferences>General>Panels clicking Use Compact Mode then restarting Camera Raw.

crpr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, although that doesn't solve the whole problem because the top portion of the pane remains fixed. This is on a 16" MacBook Pro, which is essential when I work remotely. Otherwise, that might be a nice hack until Geometry gets moved back to a logical place that works for architectural photographers -- whom, I imagine, are the main users of the feature.

[A moderator changed the thread title in a way that de-emphasizes the full nature of the problem.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The changes add several extra clicks per image. Instead of just quickly scrolling to the Geometry panel and adjusting values as it was before, I need to click on Crop tool (or use keyboard shortcut) and then click on the Fit in view to get the image larger for fine corrections.

For photogrpahers who deal with hundreds of images where each image requires specific geometry corrections this adds a lot of unnecessary extra clicking.

Also, the Constrain Crop checkbox at the bottom of the screen adds a lot of unnecesary mouse movements comapring to its previous position.

Please return the Geometry panel where it was before.

I hope that one day UI people will actually ask working professionals before making arbitrary changes in the user interface layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also agee, went back to the previous version of camera raw till adobe moves the geometry tool back, totally interupts work flow, don't understand why they don't consult professional shooters before making these changes or at least make it flexilble to move the tool where it work best for each shooter's workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you enter the Crop Panel, set up the grid size and opacity to your requirements just as you used to do.

Now enter the Crop Panel.

Press "V" to toggle overlay on or off.

If you don't see the grid you set up but some different overlay, then right click within the image and choose Overlay Style>Grid.

Then whenever you enter the Crop Panel the grid you set up will show.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 113558.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik, thank you for this workaround that provides some of the grid functionality lost when developers shifted the location of the geometry panel. It's great to see people jumping in to help make this bad decision a little less bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(First: I finally found it, after disrupting my usual workflow, in the crop tool. I know where it is. This post is just a complaint / plea to put it back where it was.)

Why did you move the Geometry Panel to thew crop tool?! With it in the main set of panels I could do 95% of what I needed to do in one nice column. I had a workflow that worked well for quite a while. Now I will have to change to the crop tool for nearly every photo I work on. (Or am I the only person on the planet that doesn't take perfectly level shots every time?!)

Why move it?!? You already gave us the option to re-order them or hide them if we didn't want. Now that isn't even an option. Is there any way for me to move it back??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...and you separated the "constrain to crop" way down at the bottom of the screen?!? Why isn't that together with the relevant controls?!

Votes

Translate

Translate