• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enhance details as option in export menu

Participant ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm u Fujifilm user and I would like to use Enhance details functin during export process of JPG's. Why? Because making new DNG files that are usualy 3 times larger than original RAF is no option to store it for me.

So... Implement Enhance details in process of export would solve this issue. Of course it would be longer process of exporting file, but technically I do not see any issue why that wouldn't be possible to implement.

What do you think?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand the issue - Could you please elaborate on your issue and your workflow?

When you say "store", why would you export? When the images are imported in Lightroom, all you need to do is to backup the catalog and I assume your originals are backuped anyway - That's it basically.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@F. McLion 

I think what the OP wants to do is to have Enhance Details run as the (optional) first step of an amended Export function, i.e. the Enhanced file would only be created in the system cache (thus not taking up space on the hard drive), from which the exported file (Jpeg or Tiff I assume) would then be created as the second step. 

Personally, I wouldn't use such an option....I'd like to check the Enhanced file first, in case it needs to be tweaked further, and I'd always want my master images to be the same as any exported file I send out.

But that's just a personal view, it'll be up to Adobe to decide if they think this idea should be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm absolutely with you, @Jim Wilde 

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim WildeThank you, that is exactly what I mean. Storing triple ammount of data is huge if you are professional photographer who have (and backup) a lot of raw data. Also converting all RAFs to DNG is not an option for me (I store all original RAFs). But having a feature of Enhanced details as option (not must) during export would benefit with using that feature at all (more details and clean image in foliage in exporting JPG's/TIFF's).

I'm not sure what do you mean by having master image same as exported. I export via droplet and usually export in three differnet sizes, so it is never same as preview in Lightroom before export - well in my workflow. I understand that it's different approach than you have, that is why this feature would be optionable.

Honestly I would like to know how many users actually do not use this great feature of Enhancing details beacuse of doubling files and tripling storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I (personally) would miss from your workflow is that I would not see what I get before the export. If not happy with the exports, I'd have to revisit development again and export again ... and actually "try" again. From my point of view, I'd like to see what I try to export and look at export more or like as "fire and forget".

But hey, if your process is ok for you, then yes, the addition might make sense in your case, though against LrC's idea of working ... my 0.02

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enhance details will never makes your RAF demosaic in LR worse, so using it in batch during export would be totaly fine for me.

For now I use this feature only on large prints with critical objects like foliage. How often do you use Enhance details?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this would be a valuable option, provided that it is indeed an extra option. So you can either use the current implementation and create a rather large Enhanced DNG next to your raw file, or you select the Enhance option only in a special 'Export as Enhanced File' export preset.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate