• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Move [Done] Button from beneath Histogram back to Toolbar [T]

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Done" button on the "T" panel doesn't show up anymore when in crop or masking tool. I'm missing it.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 152 Replies 152
152 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the new Edit icon below the histogram to exit any tool.

To exit the Crop tool, you can also press R or Enter or Esc.

To exit the Healing tool, you can also press Q or Enter or Esc.

To exit Red eye correction, you can also press Enter or Esc.

To exit Masking, you can also press Shift+W, or Enter or Esc once or twice. Alternatively, press K or M once or twice.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @Per Berntsen already showed, this is the 'Mask 2.0' button. Get used to it, it's not that difficult.1 2022-10-19 10-59-39.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like to see this button back.  Removing it is abitrary and pointless.

Space for the button is still there and it's a change in workflow after years and years of using LRC.  Yeah, I can double click enter, or double click the actual button to finish but Done was one click and muscle memory.

Bring it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on the Edit button is a one click, accomplishes the same thing as Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Edit button only requires one click, and does the same thing as the Done button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the v12 , the crop apply button that used to sit lower right of image is gone ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-bring-back-done-button/idi-p/13278079

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. 

If you prefer clicking to using keyboard, I recommend getting used to the Close button at the bottom of the Crop panel instead. Or you can press Enter key, or Escape key, or R key (the same shortcut key for entering Crop also exits it). However you do it you'll then be back in normal mode, as shown by the new leftmost (Edit) button below histogram in Develop being highlighted. So you could also click that button to finish whatever tool may be otherwise active.

Or you can switch directly over to some other tool by clicking its icon, or by using its own shortcut key.

There have always been multiple ways to get out of Crop and I've tended to judge this one the most awkward (because so distant from the tool panel it relates to) - so, having never found need to click it, personally won't feel any difference.

I do appreciate the sheer power of habit, though and losing a familiar method always requires an adjustment. IMO as with any other software, if LrC had had to retain every single interface feature that people had ever got used to in the past, plus all the newly introduced ones as well, it would have soon accumulated into a far more complex mess than anyone would want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should bring the done button back when cropping in Lightroom, It just gave a sense of security that you don't get pressing an enter key and no knowing if it did what you wanted. Does anyone else want to bring this back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on the Edit button, the new one just to the left of crop.

Or heck, could just click on the crop button again, thereby closing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richardplondon_0-1666296845819.png

to show what it looks like: any of these 3, will do the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quickly getting used to not having to click DONE. There are other apparently more efficient alternatives as described above.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree they should bring back the done button, it was far mor efficient with the mouse in your hand yo click the button than having to press enter on keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit puzzled why the Done button was so more efficient than the new situation. You do not have to press enter. There is still a Done button! It just has another name (Edit) and was moved to the top left of the panel.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there's always been a "Close" button right inside the Crop panel itself? And that is still there.

(see screenshot of an earlier version below)

richardplondon_1-1666349334573.png

I would guess there are over a dozen possible actions, any of which will take you out of the Crop tool either explicitly, or incidentally. We have now lost one of those, while at the same time gaining a new one (the Edit button). None of these methods was ever, nor is it now, THE 'proper', let alone the sole, way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First some comments, perhaps some venting:

I do not understand. What is the difference between a button that states DONE, a button that states Close, A button that is called Edit, or for the crop just clicking on the crop button, All close the current edit, and allow you to move on.

Yes, I understand for the crop, if you do not close that, then move on to another image, crop is still in use, but I have never ever bothered with the done button, just clicked on the crop button.

And as for mask, just click on the mask button in the toolbar below histogram

Is this all about workflow and a desire to not change. It seems very trivial. Clearly I am missing something.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Second a recommendation:

Now, you may see the above screed as just that, and unwanted, unnecessary. Call it venting. But if you want a lot more Likes, perhaps the author and the supporters should make a better case for it than what has been presented.

• What did the Done button accomplish
  • Why other buttons do not accomplish the same thing
  • How does the removal of the Done button damage your workflow
  • What does the removal of the Done button prevent from happening

P.S. Does the author still miss the Done button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I still do. Because I got used to it - that's how it works. For me and for many others there's no obvious reason why it was removed. I'm not here for the likes, I wanted to see how many like me are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was used to it too, and as far as I'm concerned Adobe didn't have to remove it. But at 68 I'm still flexible enough to get used to using the Edit button now.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it more interesting the DONE button still exists in library module when you "spray" the presets. So either the decision of removing it wasn't on top of priority list therefore wasnt executed properly or was just made to check if users are going to accept it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only that but the "EDIT" button doesn't seem to do ANYTHING.  I even looked it up in the help manual and it is not even mentioned under the tools module.  Whoops!

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2023.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/develop-module-tools.html 

Tools in the tool strip

Tools for performing local edits to specific areas of a photo are located in the tool strip under the Histogram panel. Select any tool to display its options in the tool drawer. Deselect the tool to close the drawer and revert to the Hand or Zoom tool.

Crop Overlay

Includes the Crop Overlay tool, Crop Frame tool, Aspect Ratio Lock button and options, Straighten tool, and Straighten slider.

Spot Removal

Includes Clone or Heal options and the Size slider. Click Reset to clear the changes to the photo.

Red Eye Correction

Includes Pupil Size and Darken sliders. Click Reset to clear the changes to the photo.

Graduated Filter

Includes options for making tonal adjustments across a region of a photo.

Radial Filter Includes options for creating multiple, off-center, vignetted areas to highlight specific portions of a photo.

Adjustment Brush

Includes options for brushing Exposure, Clarity, Brightness, and other tonal adjustments on specific areas of a photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why so many people are comfortable/accepting with something being added to a key area and key location. 

• The entire Develop module is the EDIT mode in Lightroom. 
  • Even the Library edits. 
  • It even has sliders on it indicating that it has something to do with sliders.  The EDIT button does nothing yet remains highlighted.
  • The tools are turned on and off by clicking on them, or using assigned keys.  What can be simpler than that?
  • At least put it on the far right so that I can ignore it a little more easily.

This may seem like a minor issue, but it gives less confidence in the application, and the direction Adobe is headed.  That is a big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not only that but the "EDIT" button doesn't seem to do ANYTHING"

It takes you out of any of the tools. Like the 'Done' button did. That means that clicking EDIT when you are not in any tool does indeed do nothing.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you all be happy if Adobe renamed the Edit button as DONE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And moved it to the bottom panel? Yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, IF it only appeared once you opened a tool.  That implementation would make sense.  It has no impact on the sliders below, so it should not indicate that it does.  They are always available.  If anything, once you access a tool the tool icon or the entire tool bar could change to done/exit/save/close.  Even still, ALL cancel/exit/close buttons should be located on the far right.  I really don't mind change, but clutter is bad.  What if they want to add two more tools that actually do something next year?

The other solution is to let us customize the panels a lot more.  There are so many sliders I don't use, and it would be great to hide ANY icon or slider I don't use.

Votes

Translate

Translate