• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off 'Fit layer(s) to screen' shortcut

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I Alt-click a layer, it has a shortcut called 'Fit layer(s) to screen'. It zooms my document. (It's in this list: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.html)
I want to turn off this shortcut. How do I turn off this shortcut?
I can't find it anywhere in the Edit<Keyboard Shortcuts menu. 

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This annoys me to.
Annyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023, tons of people complaining about this for years now, still no option to turn this off? One of many, many horrible choices from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably a behavior/feature, not a shortcut.

Almost never bothered me, except when I fail to hit the mask a few times a year. It's actually fairly cool and I forget to use it.

Why would you Alt-click next to the mask icon? (if you don't want this)

I only use Alt-click on the mask.

Maybe the mask is "easy to miss" if you use an 8K monitor and have layers displayed at their smallest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that it is easy to do by accident. Especially when using a wacom pen. It happens when you want to alt/option click on a mask of when you want to alt/option click between layers for a clipping mask. Especially with the latter, just a few pixels off and Photoshop starts zooming in or out. Using Photoshop every day all day long and I can tell you, 'annoying' and 'frustrating' are words that stopped describing it years ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I forgot it's for clipping too, although I use that a lot and never have that.

I hardly use a pen, so I don't know if that makes it easier to miss. I thought one reason to use a pen is extra precision.

I'll agree it's a good contender to make optional, as I've never felt a need for it anyway. Maybe others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I thought one reason to use a pen is extra precision.'

Actually a graphic pen gives less precision than a mouse although it is much more natural to use for brushwork ( I use both). Moving the pen down to click changes position very slightly whereas a mouse can hold an exact position when clicking. That is why I always use a mouse for precise paths with Photoshop's pen tool.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A pen gives precision when painting/brushing etc but clicking down it can move slightly. Latest driver of wacom give a bit more precision.

All this is besides the point though. I do not aim for precision when clicking in my layer panel. Also clicking with a mouse, pen, your finger on a touchscreen or even your big toe if you want to, just a few pixels off and it starts zooming. This is a function that was suddenly implemented in Photoshop and there is no option to disable it. Why... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That is why I always use a mouse for precise paths with Photoshop's pen tool."

That's confusing. You use both at the same time?

Just yesterday I heard Sef McCullough claim that since he is using the Wacom 1 (this seems to be a monitor tablet), laying down paths has become up to 3 times more precise (granted, it was in an interview by Wacom).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do not aim for precision when clicking in my layer panel."

The point is also that it's understandable that sometimes you have to. Adobe cannot assign clipping a layer to the right half of the whole layer. The precision helps for you to avoid it when not needing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Signfeld  'That is why I always use a mouse for precise paths with Photoshop's pen tool'

Yes, a mouse to move and control Photoshop's pen tool i.e. the one in Photoshop's toolbar that creates paths 🙂 I find the mouse far more precise for that as it does not move on clicking.

I would not be without the Wacom though for other work and I support the idea of having the ability to turn off the aforementioned shortcut when using it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved to 'ideas'

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listen, I do this for almost 20 years. This was never an issue until a few years ago. You can give reasons all you want but a lot of people are bothered by it. It is not just a handful of people. Great that you don't experience this issue, we do. You can disable or edit a lot of keyboard shortcuts. Why not let us disable or edit this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added an hour ago that I agree it should become an option 😉 and I gave a sympathy vote.

And I've learned more about the (real) pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'a lot of people are bothered by it'

I've moved this to ideas so that people can upvote it. That is what can get developers to take notice. So far it has three votes including mine.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if it was active on the layer icon only? (what I used to think)

That seems a reasonable compromise as neither Adobe or we want too much options either.

Votes

Translate

Translate