• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG XL support

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would like if JPEG XL support was added into Photoshop. It would allow me to use single format for lossy and lossless photos.

Thanks. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look this up. According to Wikipedia,

"The standard is expected to outperform the still image compression performance shown by HEIC, AVIF, WebP, and JPEG 2000. It also provides efficient lossless recompression options for images in the traditional/legacy JPEG format.

JPEG XL supports lossy compression and lossless compression of ultra-high-resolution images (up to 1 terapixel), up to 32 bits per component, up to 4099 components (including alpha transparency), animated images"

Not bad. Count me in. Why have I never heard of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can look at some comparisons here: https://cloudinary.com/blog/time_for_next_gen_codecs_to_dethrone_jpeg Jon Sneyers is main dev and there are more in depth comparisons on Cloudinary blog.

JPEG XL could also partially replace PSD and and TIFF as working format with much better compression. See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/kd42nx/jpeg_xl_as_psd_transferstorage_alternative

There is a lot to like about JXL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Photoshop Community. I'll clarify this for you.

With Camera Raw 15.1, we've recently introduced HDR Output as a technology preview, meaning the feature is still under development and not yet final. We are actively working on several areas, including support for Windows, and Lightroom, user interface improvements, and better interoperability with Photoshop and other apps.

Check this to learn more: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be nice, however, it will suffer the safe fate as JPEG2000 (which also offered lossy and lossless compression) without *widespread* support from ubiquitous software in all areas of consumer, prosumer and pro graphics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please expand HDR support to all of photoshop this has been so frustrating I've started looking for other options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I already asked here, but recieved no answer: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/recommended-workflow-for-viewing-jpeg...

Can you update recomanded workflow for viewing JPEG XL? Currently it says I should use Google Chrome, but it doesnt support JXL. What is new recomanded workflow? Thanks.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing a lot of research and I think whats happening is AVIF is becoming the preference due to being a smaller size (200kb avif compared to an 8mb jxl, both HDR). But like JPEGXL "viewers" are limited, it's supported on all browsers but edge (apparently it in canary tho), and it's not supported in any viewer on windows.

XNView MP may support it though but I dunno if it has display HDR support.

This is becoming a very broad problem of inconsistent format support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help remedy this problem please vote on microsoft feedback hub, i made a post about this issue for the photos, it seems the solution for Edge is comming.

https://aka.ms/AAjwn82

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that save as TIFF in Photoshop can use JPEG compression. Would it be possible to add lossless JPEG XL compression here? It would produce smaller files than ZIP without loss of information.

It's very anoying that TIFF and PSD files are so big, but by using lossless JPEG XL the size could be greatly reduced.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that save as TIFF in Photoshop can use JPEG compression. Would it be possible to add lossless JPEG XL compression here? It would produce smaller files than ZIP without loss of information.

It's very anoying that TIFF and PSD files are so big, but by using lossless JPEG XL the size could be greatly reduced.

Thanks.

By @Foxtrot314

You can save Jpeg XL if you can manage to open the file in Camera Raw. It's already a feature just annoying to access. 

TIFF seemed to work well for me to open Camera Raw without an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but what I am talking about is using JPEG XL as working format. I need to be able to save my image including all layers separately so I can keep editing later, like it's done in TIFF or PSD. But these formats have pretty bad compression. That's why I ask about using JPEG XL (lossless) in this case. Either apply JPEG XL compression in TIFF and PSD to make files smaller or directly save as JPEG XL with layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see, sorry my mistake. Yeah until saving is outside of camera raw i guess that won't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please it is an exception improvement and a reliable solution, add quickly the support for JPEG-XL for all your products! Especially InDesign and Illustrator.

Do not let or allow that other companies decide what it is good for your customers and pro users.

Put the needs of your customers first!

Thanks!

p.s. the good old Gimp already supports JPEG-XL... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted*

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple recently fully embraced jpeg xl by, among other things, adding support to Safari. Now more than ever is the time to add support for exporting jpeg xl's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gonna revive the thread and pitch in my two cents here. I also very much support the implementation of the JPEG XL (.jxl) image file format in Adobe products.

After some research, I understand that JPEG XL has the benefits of a more efficent compression standard as well as better image quality when preserving the details. Having a smaller file size while also having better image quality on export means that images using JPEG XL will not only be much better looking, but will also be easier to store as well as display to audiences and consumers.

I also support the inclusion of the AVIF image file format as well since they both perform similarly. However, see that there is some form of contention between JPEG XL and Google that they would rather prefer AVIF over JPEG XL. I do hope there can be some settlement there.

I feel if Adobe were to enable support for the JPEG XL (.jxl) file format, then it may open up further opportunities and help influence other companies and brands to support it as well. This helps the artists in preserving the quality of their work, as well as the audiences in appreciating the artwork in all of its detail.

Overall, I highly recommend Adobe to enable support for JPEG XL. It would be wonderful for us to be able to play around with this format and promote higher quality work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People need to force these browsers hand to just pick a damn format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems a bit silly to not only support this, but actually use this format in Lightroom and ACR and yet still not be able to open or save in Photoshop. JPEG XL looks like the perfect back-up format for edited photos, alongside the RAW+XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that JPEG XL *compression* will be used (its already available in Photoshop) but the *format* is already DOA.

AVIF and HEIC are better choices. As for archiving, use TIFF or PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVIF also finally has support across all browsers
AVIF image format | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

Now if only adobe would stop wasting time with features no one asked for. And add things people NEED to use OUTSIDE OF CAMERA RAW!

This is doubly frustrating cause not even affinity photo lets you save avif. All this annoyance for reasons I don't care about.

This and HDR support, and the program will be somewhat brought up to the modern age. Rather than be archaic.

A bunch of AI tools nice as they are does not make a program modern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, that seems not so easy .... interop 

Votes

Translate

Translate