• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a version 2.5 and 3 for IRIX/solaris (Silicon Graphics workstations) long time ago. But I think that the last 8 or 9 releases have been only for Windows and Macintosh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Ph...

About the possibility of a future linux version, the answers I've seen is that the market share of linux users willing to pay for a version of Photoshop would not be big enough to cover the cost of the port, especially given the market fragmentation (different desktop environments, missing stable color management assets, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was some buzz a few years back about Google sponsoring an effort by CodeWeavers to improve Wine so that Photoshop CS and CS2 would work under Linux, but that was the last I heard of it.

I work on the LR team and use Ubuntu on my home laptop which is now dual booted with Windows 7 because Netflix and Lightroom. I tinkered with augmenting Wine to make LR run better a few years back, but never found enough time to make much progress (and that was before I had kids).

This forum would be a great place for those interested in a Linux version of Photoshop to cast their votes! (PS is one of the highest requested apps for Wine support if you filter out games)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are huge amounts of people out there just waiting to forget windows for good, its just not a professional platform, it lags, it goes slow, gets stuck, freezes with programs, and macosx is just too expensive.
Now with Linux, you have a stable and affordable OS, therefore people can just spend on what they need.. which is the software, not an OS which should be free. So many people are happy with Linux as a platform, the only problem is that software from mainly adobe and sony is unavailable on it, there is simply no alternative to photoshop, flash or after effects. Its a must!
You guys might assume that the people using linux is far less, thats only because linux doesn't run by marketing, but word of mouth, more and more people move to the platform, its only the professionals waiting around for a linux photoshop or after effects!
Face it, photoshop isn't running the best it can on windows, it would probably run far better on something like ubuntu linux. Ubuntustudio is a developer's OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO, the "market share of linux users willing to pay for a version of Photoshop" is the wrong metric to use when making this judgement. Ask, instead, how many Windows/Mac users would migrate to (and pay for) a Linux-based Photoshop. I suspect the numbers would be big enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To whom it may concern,
I have just switched from using Windows Vista to using Linux's Ubuntu Natty Narwhal on my personal computer and laptop. I am certain you've heard it more than a few times, but myself and many of my colleagues would definitely love to see Photoshop ported for Linux. I hope that whomever I am addressing can relay the message that a lot more people use Linux than you think, and that there is ABSOLUTELY money to be made by allowing Photoshop's use on another OS. I truly hope to see some form of progress towards booting one of my favorite programs on my Linux machine in the next few years. The people behind the code at Adobe Photoshop are the best at what they do, and no other company or group of people have come remotely close to producing a program as strong and user friendly as you, but when I can't use this program just because I have a different OS it's like a kick to the face. Other than that, I am completely pleased with your program and can't wait to see what new improvements your company makes to it.
Thanks for your time,
Anonymous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a photographer for about fifteen years. I grew up using Photoshop. But, three years ago I got sick of Windows. Making a long story short, I switched to Linux. I dual-booted for a while, only booting into Windows to use Photoshop. What a pain. I started using GIMP for basic operations when I didn't want to reboot. Slowly, I stopped booting into Windows.

Photoshop is a much, much better program than GIMP. If Adobe made Photoshop for Linux, I'd buy it... as I've bought other programs and utilities for Linux. But, I'm at my third year anniversary of not using Photoshop, because it isn't available for my OS. Has my photography suffered? I don't think so. You work with the tools you have, and sometimes less is more. It's been a learning experience, but I miss my Photoshop.

I still accidentally hit Photoshop keyboard shortcuts in GIMP and get an unexpected tool. That's annoying and a bit depressing.

If one looks at the old read-only Adobe forums under topic views for Photoshop feature requests, support for Linux dominates. (The first Linux support thread I found had more views than all other posts within the past 4 months combined. ) Those forums are actually interesting to read. One Adobe employee keeps pointing out certain points like lack of color management and driver standards in Linux. (Technically, we don't even have drivers since external device chipset instructions are maintained in the kernel... but I digress.) I have to wonder what would happen if Adobe asked the Linux community for actual help towards usability and standards with these issues... with the goal of making Photoshop possible.

I know several others that are completely willing to switch from Windows to Linux, but Photoshop is holding them back.

I mean really, imagine if Windows were born today. Would Adobe make Photoshop for it? Heck no. I don't think this has as much to do with standards and drivers as it has to do with the user base... and maybe I have a skewed perspective (that's a bad pun for Shift+P in GIMP... forget if there's a shortcut in Photoshop), but there seems to be a lot of people looking for Photoshop in Linux, and VB/Wine aren't cutting it.

Just my two cents.
Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linux esta crescendo mais e mais principalmente o ubuntu so uso o windows (tenho dual boot) em caso de extremanessecidade ou seja quando nao consigo rodar um programa como photoshop e acredito q varias outras pessoas passam o mesmo e acredito q seria um grande investimento da adobe criar uma versao do photoshop para linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translated from Portuguese:

Linux is growing more and more especially so use ubuntu windows (I dual boot) in case of extremanessecidade that is when I can not run a program like Photoshop and many others believe q are the same and believe q would be a great investment of adobe create a version of photoshop for linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about release a linux version of Photoshop (Adobe creative Suite) ?
There are many designers, graphicers, people who are waiting to use their favorites softwares of the Adobe creative suite.
Adobe can potentially change the whole world's OS Market.
Apple snigger at Windows because of all the flaws that come with using CS on it. Making CS for Linux (probably Ubuntu, for it's fantastic store payment method) would take away OS X's stronghold on designers who want simplicity and security when working.

For more informations go there : http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topi...

And see how much people want to be able to use your softwares on their favorite OS .

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm French)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make all (or at least most of the Adobe products) possible to run on Unix platforms and especially Linux Debian / Ubuntu.

I am Ubuntu user and the only thing that keeps me having a virtual machine with Windows is the Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

You will get more sales from your products if they can run on Linux.
The free alternative Gimp is quite different from Photoshop and Photoshop seems to be much more professional.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for this kind of double posting, but I am really looking forward for response from Adobe.

Do you have any plans to make the Adobe products running on Linux. I am using Photoshop CS5 with Wine now on my Ubuntu (got sick of the Virtual machine and it's memory limits), but it often makes me restart the program, because the shortcuts stop working, the tooltips don't disappear and hide important tools, etc. It's real pain in the ***.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plan to make a linux version of photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid Microsoft $150 for a version of Windows just so that I could run Photoshop in a virtual machine on my 64-bit Ubuntu Linux box. That's $150 that I was willing to pay to Adobe (above the $600 I paid for Photoshop), but paid to Microsoft instead. Microsoft charges Android phone manufacturers to use Linux on their phones. Why doesn't Adobe charge Microsoft for NOT providing a Linux port of Photoshop? At least Adobe could be realizing some of the potential profit they are currently losing.

If Photoshop ran on Linux that would save me $150 and about 10 minutes of applying patches and booting up and shutting down Windows every time I use Photoshop, and would also make Alt-clicking work properly. In the meantime, I'd feel much better knowing that at least some of that money went to Adobe, rather than to Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. If you ported Adobe Photoshop to run on GTK+, it would run equally well on Windows, Mac, and Linux (and maybe a few other platforms as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, if you look at the size of the Linux Users Group you may conclude it is too small. Yet, Photoshop is one of the main reasons for that.
Namely, once you offer such option you'll be the catalyst to make this group much larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to Request support for Linux OS.

I love Photoshop, one of my favorite Software, but i really loath Windows with it's lack of Security, The minimal requirement for Windows OS keep getting higher and higher and that means i have to keep pushing more and more money onto my computer every few years, And the OS it's self every few year.
Linux i don't have to pay a dime, it's proformance is 2X better than that of windows OS. It's security is 2X better than Windows, And i don't have upgrade my computer every few years to meet the minimal Requirement to run the OS it's self
Plus, Many big companys are switching from Window to Linux. Like IBM for example, They invested BILLIONS into Linux, and have hired over 300 Linux Kernal developers, And considering the relationship with Photoshop and the video game, Movie or just the entertainment industry in general. it would be a good idea to support Linux for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a web developer. I use linux. I need photoshop. PLEASE release photoshop for linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux users would definitely pay for a Photoshop port. Linux users paid the most for the Humble Indie Bundle pack. Quote from Wikipedia:

"By tracking pricing, Wolfire Games found that Linux users were the most generous, paying about US$14 per bundle, followed by MacOS X users (US$10) and Windows users (US$7–8)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if someone from Adobe checks this topic?

We don't get any response to our requests.
I know nobody obliged to do it, but still it will be nice to hear what Adobe thinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We read all the topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what do you think about the idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2011 Oct 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might find quite a few lines Adobe employee/s have typed on the issue, for example here
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/487814...
http://forums.adobe.com/message/35706...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm waiting for Linux version of PS !!!!!!! PS is more better than THE GIMP (more user friendly, more beautiful, more powerful).....................................

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Gripes #3594, #10, #9162, #5087 , #2186 & #6264

"Make a photoshop version for linux!!!"

"Port to Linux."

"it's time for a Linux version of Photoshop!"

"Where is adobe photoshop for linux?!"

"Please look into making Linux versions of at least Photoshop. Your biggest competitor in that arena is the GIMP. Seriously."

"Please, make a linux version of Photoshop. There a lot of CG and VFX makers who use a linux pipeline!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The claim that there aren't enough Linux users to make ports of Photoshop, Lightroom, or any commercial software brings up the chicken-and-egg nature of this problem. There aren't enough users because some commercial software (PS, LR) is missing. But the software is missing because the software companies won't port the software because there aren't enough users.

There is a lot of great open source software out there--but on the commercial side, somone has to go first, right? Plus Adobe provides the Acrobat Reader for Linux, so they have some developers with Linux experience...

Votes

Translate

Translate