• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CinemaDNG

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro does not properly support CinemaDNG media. For starters, not all versions can be imported, specifically the media coming from the Blackmagic Ursa cameras.

But even for the versions that can be imported, support for the format is still lacking to the point of unusability.

The Media Browser will not see all the clips at the same time. We're forced to go into every individual clip folder for import duties. This is untenable.

The RAW controls available are limited to Temp, Tint and Exposure. The controls that are possible and must be implemented are:

White Balance
Color Space
Gamma
ISO
Color Temp
Tint
Exposure
Sharpness
Highlights
Shadows
Color Boost
Saturation
Midtone Detail
Lift
Gain
Contrast

Finally, because we do not have access to the Color Space or Gamma, the footage comes in with a preset "LUT" applied, making the original Log footage unusable.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
42 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOTALLY agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot on a Blackmagic camera and I still can't import/use raw footage with a 3:1 compression natively inside of Premiere pro. Are there plans to implement this in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search for CinemaDMG. You'll see the request to vote for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CinemaDNG is Adobe’s baby. Since Apple’s announcement of ProRes RAW, I could see Adobe siding with Blackmagic Design and supporting compressed CinemaDNG RAW. The request link is here:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro?query=raw%203%3A1

Compressed CinemaDNG RAW already exists since 2014 but Apple conveniently ignored it in their whitepaper. It was invented by Blackmagic Design, extending CinemaDNG, and is in their cameras and works with Da Vinci Resolve already. Maybe this is where Apple decided they needed to do the same, but with lots of the usual marketing pretending again that they are the first inventor.

Maybe everyone here should be asking for that instead, since you're not FCPX users? I doubt CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 and 4:1 are proprietary like ProRes is. This means there's a better chance with more and more products supporting it.

Since Apple is starting a compressed RAW codec war, maybe Premiere should support both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RED RAW and ARRIRAW are both proprietary. There's no reason Adobe can't work with BMD to get Ursa Mini (and soon BMPCC 4K) media working in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree and support the cause with you 3:1 and 4:1 DNG RAW is a must with the ProresRAW upgrade you have planned to do, otherwise Final cut X is a good solution 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add compressed raw support for ursa pro dng filles with 3:1, 4:1 compression

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is already an entry for this. Please search for CinemaDNG and add you vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need compressed 4:1 and 3:1 CDNG support ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would be nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full support for Cinema DNG files, fast workflow and import. As the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K comes it needs a support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is already an entry for this. Please search for CinemaDNG and vote it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the primary reasons I've left Premiere Pro and am using DaVinci Resolve for all my editing now. In fact, I haven't edited in Premiere Pro for 2 years now because DaVinci Resolve has become so amazing. This would be one step in the right direction for making me consider coming back to Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember 20 years ago when workflows were supposed to become easier? As a user I couldn’t care less about the politics and format wars that we suffer under now…

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this should be a no brainer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating the Codec support for DNG Raw including support for 3:1 and 4:1 compressed version of Cinema DNG files. With the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K camera using these file This will soon be a deal breaker form many smaller video companies, independent film makers and individuals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly hope this support come along soon.

I have edited with premiere for years. I started way back in 2004 and I would hate to have to learn another platform because they refuse to keep up with the people that have stuck with them.

I love the Adobe suite and will be making my first Feature Length Film in the next 16 months and need support for the 3:1 and 4:1 compression ratios to do this with the platform that I know and love.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should be pushing this as an open alternative to Redcode and ProRes Raw. They NEED to support lossy CDNG and further advance the standard with different compression ratios up to 10:1. This would avoid multiple licensing fees and create a viable open standard across industry. Until they finally do this - a lot of customers will be lost to both Apple and Blackmagic design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should be pushing this as an open alternative to Redcode and ProRes Raw. They NEED to support lossy CDNG and further advance the standard with different compression ratios up to 10:1. This would avoid multiple licensing fees and create a viable open standard across industry. Until they finally do this - a lot of customers will be lost to both Apple and Blackmagic design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and I would also love to see support for the BMD film colour profile when using DNG raw files that ARE supported so we can properly grade raw footage. Right now it comes into premiere with a weird almost-but-not-rec709 profile on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please support this as an alternative to ProRes Raw!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that's really bad, good thing DaVinci Resolve is bundled with the cameras.
ADOBE take note, please develop CDNG further, it's a no-brainier. At least BlackMagic know what to do with it. You created this open standard, but refuse to update it and further develop it including LOSSY CDNG and proper color profiles/controls... WHY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've voted and commented on all the other entries, hopefully the Adobe product development team takes note! SUPPORT LOSSY CDNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please support this!

Votes

Translate

Translate