• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Instant Auto Save

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro needs the option to save every keystroke, every edit, every change we make in our project instantly and continuously to the hard drive so that crashes will never again cause lost work.
Idea Released
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi all,

Background auto save is now in beta. For more information, please see this post ( https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/discuss-background-auto-save-now-in-premiere-pro-beta/td-p/13248391 ) our support forum. If you've got feedback on the feature, please provide it via the comments section of the post.

Thanks!

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
We are actively working on this feature. I don't have a date to share yet but I'll update this message when I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Moving this to Under Review. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Following up on the comment(s) already on this thread.

Would it be preferable to have a background auto-save that doesn't interrupt work and then user can still set the frequency that they prefer?

Having something auto-save with every edit or keystroke would likely result in slowing down the application as it requires resource (no matter how small) to execute that function.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Backgound Auto Save was released in v23.4 of Premiere Pro. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
87 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"so that crashes will never again cause lost work."

What is the frequency of your crashes ?
For me, not more than one by year, so this feature does not seems mandatory,
If you have more crashes check your hardware and System. Premiere is not the problem.

What overhead do you accept for this feature ?
Continously writing a copy of project on disk would be very ressources consuming.

Olivier

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve have this feature. It's not in any way resource intensive. It's instantaneous.

Frequency of crashing isn't relevant. If this feature saves you from re-doing 3 hours of work once every five years, it's worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this. I have frequent crashes, very often when I change workspace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere have auto-save, and you can set even every 1 minute. I think that's enough. What can be useful is that this auto-save does not stop editing, working in background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bigger the .prpro file gets, the longer the auto-saves takes.
I have mine usually set to 5 min - so when I'm on a bigger project I have to wait 20-30 seconds to let the auto-save do it's thing every 5 minutes!
While it creates some awkward moments as everybody in the editing room stares blankly at the screen, it also just completely takes me (the editor) "out of the flow".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great idea! DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut, and even iMovie all have this, so I can't see why Premiere doesn't have something like this.

Yes, it has autosave, but it would be way nicer if changes could be saved to the main project file so that I don't have to remember to save every time and also to prevent loss of work. Maybe even have changes saved somewhere else, ready to be saved at any moment and then just save bundles of changes to the main project file every so often, kind of like autosave but not to separate files.

I've very rarely edited a video without a crash, so this would be extremely helpful. I've even ended up with filenames having 10 or 12 "Copy of" prefixes, just because of crashes. (It does this on both my Hackintosh and MacBook Pro on the latest versions of macOS and Premiere.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be preferable to me if Premiere used a background autosave that does not interrupt work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background autosave that allows you to keep working would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background auto-save similar to the version used in Premiere Team Projects would be ideal. That system works perfectly, no Auto-Save boxes popping up, and each keystroke and history step is saved immediately. Please, please bring this to regular Premiere projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Resolve and Lightworks can save every change WITHOUT slowing down the application.

This is what is needed and wanted for Premiere Pro. Nothing less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auto-save in the background is a no brainer. that window that pops up is incredibly annoying. almost all 3rd party plugins make premiere crash so i have it set to auto-save every 5 mins (which is still too long!) so having that annoying window pop up every 5 mins is SERIOUSLY distracting and counter-productive to my workflow and creativity. saying that it will slow down the application is just a lame excuse to not do it. considering that i also work with many other apps and they all have that feature means that it's not only possible - it's quite nice and works flawless when implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amazed that this doesn't have more votes. Currently, the autosave interruptions are my biggest annoyance with Premiere. Final Cut Pro has done this in the background for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This give me a heart attack every time. Usually beachballs on Mac OS sometimes causes a crash

Disappointing that the act of backing up you project might be a reason you might a backup of your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must agree that saving every single change, every single time, is excessive. Everyone would start complaining that Premiere seems laggier. That's a no-win situation!

An autosave that does not have the intrusive pop-up window, would be nice.

It is worth noting that even though I have mine set to every 4 minutes, sometimes that interval is ignored/missed, which can result in, say, 15 minutes of work being lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t believe Adobe rep wrote “Having something auto-save with every edit or keystroke would likely result in slowing down the application as it requires resource (no matter how small) to execute that function.”
- do you guys just ignore your competitors like Resolve? You you just ignore the UI and performance of Final Cut Pro?
With that kind of denial and small thinking your product is dead. I’m not sure how long I will be a happy paying professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constantly save my project. My project takes about 1 min to completely save. can you make it so that the save is a background task and I can continue editing without being stopped by saving.
FCPX and Avid both have this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! 100% I wonder why this one hasn't got tons of upvotes. It should.
NLE never ever should interrupt user. When I'm in the middle of an acton, like dragging clips, trimming, changing control, etc, application should either do *background* save, or wait for me to complete the action and THEN auto-save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search for Instant Auto Save and vote it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more. Every day I think why can't Premiere Pro save in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DMITRY Larionov I couldn't agree more.
@jim Simon that's not the same thing, the instant auto save is not possible for very large projects. and that post is about constantly auto-saving which will slow down project speed all together. I want them to make a side loaded program that runs independently so that even when PPR crashes you still have an opportunity to save. and when it auto saves the program doesn't force you to wait for PPR to finish saving.
@Deleted User hopefully they will fix this in the next next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that auto-save should be a background operation. If that isn't possible, at least allow it to monitor what a user is doing and wait till there's nothing happening to auto-save!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By and large, Adobe needs to embrace background processes way more. Autosave, rendering, creating proxy jobs, etc... all stop you from working and can take way more time than they should. Speed things up and let me work while they're doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew I didn't even think about timeline rendering!
@blAke Alley I hope Adobe lets us know if it is possible and how long it would take to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avid doesn't save as a background task, sadly. It does have seperate files per bin, rather than one large file for the project, so the save is much quicker, and it has settings for the period of inactivity before auto-saving and then a period for forcing an autosave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate