• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option to remove new Header Bar (22.3) from window

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a shortcuts person, and I like customizability. Please make the new Header Bar feature of Version 22.3 optional. I have no use for any of the buttons or information on the header, all of which are redundant and can be accessed either through the toolbar or via keyboard shortcuts. I appreciate that the Header may be convenient for new Premiere users, but for power users it is wasted screen real estate.
Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
57 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the new workspace bar can be great for new users but for older users like me, who are used to using keyboard shortcuts to navigate, it would be convenient to be able to hide it to save space in the ui.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please! It would be nice to customize the UI in that aspect

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. Would love it if some things could be optional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!! Real estate is so important and the header is really useless when you have been working in premiere for longer than a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. I also am somewhat of a shortcuts man myself. I agree that the header takes up valuable space and it would be nice to have the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the default Keyboard Layout press Command + \

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dan, however I’m not referring to the Windows/Mac title bar at the top of the window. I’m referring to the new header bar at the top of the application that was added to Premiere as of version 22.3 which has shortcuts to the import/edit/export panels, along with quick export, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it was the header bar I was referring to. Works for me on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be a Windows limitation then. Here's what I get with that shortcut. I saw that Adobe just released an update (22.3.1) but still stuck with the annoying, immovable header. Please fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Everything else in the UI is customizable, except for this new "feature." I want my screen back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's too bad Ross. I saw it on Provideo Coalition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow for customization of the new integrated Header Bar. Import & Export (along with Edit) are larger text points, but Importing & exporting are features I don't use very often except at the project start finish, plus I have fast keys assign to the functions so they are just taking up space in the header bar. Now the workspaces "tabs" are much smaller point size and smooshed together. These I use regularly as I'm switching between workspaces for quick graphics, sound or color correction fixes. So now I have three nicely space tabs with larger text (Import, Edit, Export) that I won't use and the workspace tabs I do use harder to see and right on top of each other. Please allow us to decide how we need things laid out. Each user is different, with customization we can all work in the way that is most efficient for our individual workflows.. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new header bar is pointless to myself and many other users and takes up valuable screen space. Especially for those users that are working on laptops or small monitors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bar serves no actual purpose, and I would argue it will actually confuse my students (I teach After Effects and Premiere). See the attachment with notes. You've got the word "Edit" now existing in two separate locations.

The Edit menu has existed at an OS level since, probably, 1984. And you've now placed an identical word directly below it. Since you're using icons to the left and right, why are these three words not icons?

The title of the project, and the word "Edited" are redundant. This information already exists in the top left of the title bar, where the asterisk clearly shows whether the file has been saved (or not) since its last revision. Using the term "Edited" is really bad, considering changes can me made to the project that aren't "edits," when you've clearly established the word Edit means "working in this very specific workspace."

The header bar serves no purpose, other than to pave the way to migrate Premiere to an OS that doesn't have a title bar and File menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG please get rid of this header / options bar it's driving me nuts. Been using Premiere for a LONG time, this is crazy that I can't get rid of it. Working away from home in a hotel room on a small laptop screen, I want that screen real estate back PLEASE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous! We wanted MORE screen real estate not less!

Sure the new import/export pages are nice, but I will use those for less than 0.1% of the time I spend in Premiere. Put them on the already existing menu bar or allow us to hide the bar PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, add the ability to hide the panel by moving the mouse up and bring it back down, as it was with the work panels. This way it will be possible to save the workspace when the panel is not required and all work takes place on the timeline. It's elementary to make you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start referring to the update as "Ugly Sonic." Maybe that will clue in Adobe to what they could gain by listening to their customers. The movie producers listened and salvaged a franchise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.
Please do this.
Please stop adding more and more empty space to the Premiere Pro User Interface.
I literally use a 43", 4k, $1,000 monitor, and a multi-thousand dollar custom-made, 32" inch deep desk to put it on, ENTIRELY so that I can run the entire system at 100% UI scaling, which I need to do, because of just how much empty and wasted space there already is in Premiere Pro specifically.
Just so you all understand, that setup is the equivalent of using four 1080p monitors stuck together.
And then I still need a few more monitors off to the sides for all of my bins. But that's more of a me thing. I like to have a lot of bins open.
To save screen space, I have removed as many icons as possible from the left side of the timeline. I've turned off "show markers" on the program and source monitors. I used to remove all buttons ("show transport controls") from the source and program monitors (before switching to the bigger screen.)
However, I cannot remove the bottom-most bar that is ONLY used to tell me what's being loaded or what's going wrong. I cannot save any space by removing the bars and buttons at the top and bottom of bins, respectively. My program monitor is the only panel on its part of the screen, but I can't remove all the empty space on its top bar, either.
I never click on the Tools panel anymore, so I don't really need it, but I like being able to look at it to learn what tool Premiere THINKS I am using. And it mostly wastes horizontal space, which isn't so bad... it's the vertical space that is so valuable. I need room to see multiple timeline tracks, and I absolutely hate scrolling the timeline up and down all day.

This new header bar wastes a ton of vertical space.

I remember a version of Flash where literally a third of my laptop screen was taken up with various top bars, for panels within panels, even if there was only one panel within a panel. I wish I'd taken a screenshot. It was absolute madness. They reigned it in after that version. That was over 10 years ago, and it seems those lessons have been lost.

For everyone's benefit, I looked through every single console command, comparing it to the previous list that I exported using optical character recognition:
https://pastebin.com/uKr6YrrG

(I'm not uploading the most recent one, it's pretty rough.)

I didn't find any new entries in the console that corelated with turning off this new header bar. Sorry. Most of the new entries are things like
AudioSuppotMonitorMixer.SetAudioChannelMatrixProcessorDelay
which have nothing to do with the UI.

What's this console, you might ask? Well, if you press CTRL F12, click the triple lines and select "debug database view," you get a ton of secret options that are not found in the usual preferences panel!

Adobe hates it when anyone talks about this. People use it to set FE.AllowMultipleOpenProjects to FALSE, and Adobe, after claiming it was not possible to do this, deleted a ton of threads on the forums that talked about it. I can only mention it here, because Adobe does not run Uservoice.

WARNING! Don't mess around in the console. Seriously. You'll corrupt your copy of Premiere. And then you don't get to whine to tech support about it. The ONLY setting I feel comfortable changing in there, is the aforementioned FE.AllowMultipleOpenProjects.

Anyway. I tried. I suspect this post won't get an official response, because I mentioned the console.

Adobe, give us the option to get rid of the Header Bar. And start REDUCING the amount of wasted and empty space... don't add to it.

While I'm on the topic, thank you for the feature where we can press CTRL \ to remove the title bar. Whoever added that, understands our plight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confusing for a first time user (edit under edit), and annoying for a power user (real estate)

Please remove or add the option to hide.

Also add Kern ability back to text! lol... just sayin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely important to me and many others for the reasons described in the post and the comments. Any feature that's there to help new users and doesn't do a SINGLE new thing (the "Header Bar" does not in fact, do 1 single new thing at all) should be possible to remove. Because all this update does for let's call it advanced users, is remove space to edit on. Even new users will learn the old way to export and import is faster and they will want to remove it, too. So give back the edit space! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all of the comments here. We need BETTER use of screen real estate, especially now that, more than ever, we can edit on the go with laptops that have extremely limited screen real estate! Rather than listen to logic (and us users), it seems Adobe is **** bent on making things worse, rather than better. I doubt a single professional Pr user ever asked for this new header bar. And yet many professionals are asking for to option to hide it. I asked for it to be optional while it was in beta. Any appeal to good sense appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also is annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate