• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2x bigger preview on retina screen.

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i just updated to the newest version and I'm in shock! Really.

What i saw before as 100px i see right now as 200px. And of course this is so annoying i almost quit.

I'm sure there is a solution, but I'm an old man and i can't really find it. Sorry Adobe community, and please help.

15 inch macbook pro, retina.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

We have a fix and is available in the pre-release build. Please visit https://adobe.ly/1o2SDsg and get the latest build for version 23.0.1

Please refer to release notes and get the preference that you will have to change to turn off the new Actual print size feature introduced with version 23.0

While the build is prerelease this build is still of production quality. Please feel free to use / recommend it for your day to day activity.

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manage

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK community, I just finished chat with Adobe, and they told me, that this is a new feature and its in their opinion better.

Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, the solution I have is set a New View at 55.5% and that will show your artboard at what browsers render the artwork. This new true-size is a terrible idea. I just reverted back to 2018 and 100% in my artboard is what I see in my browser, and that's what it should be. True-size feature is absolutely terrible and Adobe should just give the option to switch it on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Man! i will try it for sure.

What is the logic behind this? Many of us are creating artwork that will stay digital, true view was what we were seeing while working, until today.

Not sure about designing for print, but I'm sure, and i bet its annoying too!

How this is helping? Its just stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, the previous versions gave us exact view of what we would see in our screens. That is the expected behavior. For some reason they switched that view to accommodate higher resolutions but they did it wrong. What it does now, it just doubles the size of your canvas and artwork. It is so stupid. Adobe should just stick with the norm that browsers use to render. This is feature that is pointless. Maybe someone wants to see their artwork doubled, who knows, but they should at least give us the option to disable it. Anyway, just revert back to 2018, its the easiest fastest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of print, which is Illustrator's origins, a true 100% view option has long been requested. Up to now you have had to work out some odd view percentage, informed by the monitor resolution, to see artwork at true 1:1 scale. Now 100% means 100% – that's perfect for print designers. Very happy.

However, I also create online assets, and the new approach is odd!! The scaling now assumes your monitor has a resolution of 72dpi, hence the doubling of size for me (my monitor has a dot pitch of twice that). I can understand the logic, but as browsers render based on screen resolution, images will change physical size dependent upon monitor/screen, ignoring relative/percentage sizing options. This should be the way you work. Moreover, 72dpi has never really been a web standard anyway; the very first Apple Macs had that screen resolution, hence where 72dpi originated, but it has never been so since. I understand the most common screen dpi is around 109. If Illustrator understood your system settings and native resolution, it could scale accordingly – that would be the best and most sensible approach, especially when your other tools for this type of work are showing quite different results!

For print – this is perfect; for online work – I'll use something else from now on, or go back to the last version of Ai.

The idea of UI scaling, which is a separate and unrelated issue, seems pointless. No idea why this option even needs to exist when the OS handles that for you, or at least Apple does. Moving to the largest UI was almost comical! It's a solution to a problem that didn't exist. It's not in Photoshop or InDesign. Sorry, but whoever came up with that needs to go back to school.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, good to know, that its perfect for print. If 1mm on screen is 1mm in real life, thats awesome.

What is not awesome, and its stupid- see screenshot i shared above. I don't see what i will see in browser, I don't see true view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only makes the chrome (tools, text and other UI elements) as mentioned in that setting itself, smaller. Your solution has nothing to do with the fact that the artwork itself looks twice as big now. So your solution has no value at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I see on my artboard at 100% should be the exact same thing I see on the browser. If you need a better example, then here it is, a 1.7rem font size in illustrator 2018 used to be exactly 1.7rem in any browser. Now in 2019, 1.7rem in my dartboard at 100% looks like 3.4rem. And it extremely stupid for me to go and adjust all my layouts to twice as small in order to accommodate a very dumb decision on Adobes part to just up the scale twice. 2018 use to render a 50px at 100% view and be accurate 50px in any browser. To be more clear, if I draw a square that is 50px and I am looking at it at 100% in illustrator, then it should be 50px just like in a browser side by side, because technically that is 100% view, since it is what I am looking at. The fact that you tell us if we don't like it, then switch the UI, which brings no solution to the actual problem is extremely terrible since we are paying for this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I have been trying Affinity just to check it out and I still stay with Adobe because I am so familiar with and I do like it, but after you gave me a very bad suggestion which has nothing to do with the actual problem make me believe that Adobe doesn't really look at the problem and just try to justify an obvious terrible mistake it made. I am considering switching to Affinity products after this because in the last 2 years I feel like I have to put tons of effort to make illustrator work for me, instead of the software just working. I am sure you understand that this hinders productivity. And bottomline, if your customers have to revert to something that works, well then that is very bad. By the way, I actually design software, not websites, and when the customer has to downgrade, that is a terrible experience. Like I said, a simple way to allows to disable that feature would be a perfect solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Affinity Designer (and Photo) for almost 2 years and can honestly say they both are far more intelligent and responsive than Illustrator or Photoshop (bloated, non-intuitive). Hardest part was retraining the brain after 25 years of Adobe. At work I have no choice (Windows 10 with CC), but if you have a choice, work or personal, Affinity is an excellent option. I create 100 page magazines with QuarkXpress, have been toying with the Beta version of Affininity Publisher, and have not used Illustrator or Photoshop for any of it.

At work I noticed the update for the CC apps but thought I should check out forums to see what was up before clicking. Glad I did and I'm so sorry for all the problems everyone is experiencing, from InDesign to Photoshop to Illustrator. Of the hundreds of posts I've read already, it can't be that everyone's computers are suddenly problematic and UI and memory allocations are the order of the day. The obvious common threads are the latest CC updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in order of appearance 2018 at 100% 2019 at 100%. Look at how 2019 at 100% looks huge.
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 9.14.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-16 at 9.13.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, what are you trying to do here? Pasting random screenshots not related to subject is not helping anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 10.55.14.png

And what is true in this view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First and foremost, please take the time to understand what the actual issue is and not just jump in with some unrelated "solution".

Second, this change is really a bad "solution". I mean I understand you made the real size preview for print (which is great) but you ruined real size preview for digital, which is terrible.

@adobe is it that hard to implement both modes and have enable/disable toggle so each user can choose what suits them best? I mean when I open Illustrator I have presets on opening files, like "webpage" and "iPhoneX" which is clearly digital and then preview calling is set for print. Where's the logic in that?
and while you'r at it, can you add reflect buttons on the Touch Bar (MacBook Pro's) or at least give us the option to customise touch bar controls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reflect button is another story man. Don't even start it

But "true" view is incorrect, false and annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second, this change is really a bad "solution". I mean I understand you made the real size preview for print (which is great) but you ruined real size preview for digital, which is terrible.

Couldn't agree more, this solution is just super annoying when designing for digital/web. We need some kind of switch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waldemargraczyk  wrote

Hello, i just updated to the newest version and I'm in shock! Really.

What i saw before as 100px i see right now as 200px. And of course this is so annoying i almost quit.

I'm sure there is a solution, but I'm an old man and i can't really find it. Sorry Adobe community, and please help.

15 inch macbook pro, retina.

Sorry for not understanding your issue correctly earlier. I have understood your issue now. Is the pixel preview mode solving the issue when you want to preview at actual pixels on screen?

@dan:

Another request please add all your request including providing a toggle behaviour to our UserVoice page. Illustrator Feature Requests: Top (1619 ideas) – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its even worse it is a bitmap view scaled down 50% and than scaled up 200% and it looks awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waldemargraczyk  wrote

Its even worse it is a bitmap view scaled down 50% and than scaled up 200% and it looks awful.

Sorry I did not understand. is the following steps not resulting in a behaviour you were seeing in previous release

1. create a square of 200px X 200px
  2. go to Pixel preview mode
  3. Press CTRL+1 for actual view

are you not seeing the same output as in previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why I always need to click Pixel Preview every time when I need to see my work in actual size?

As a digital illustrator artist, We need a preferences option for legacy actual size. I will rolled back to 22.1 until you guys update this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't, because you'll see totally different pixelated picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waldemargraczyk  wrote

You can't, because you'll see totally different pixelated picture

you should not see anything pixelated at 100% it will start showing you pixeleted preview (as you would with any raster) only when you zoom in deep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 16.19.16.png

Here is pixel view

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 16.46.06.png

And here is normal view before update. You can see the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waldemargraczyk  wrote

And here is normal view before update. You can see the difference.

here is what I am seeing at 100% with Pixel preview on 22.1 and 23.0. We would like to investigate and understand Pixel Preview differences. Can you please email us on sharewithai@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines