• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action to Change Artboard Size

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to change the artboard size of 519 files to 160mm square. I'd really prefer not to do it all manually. Why can't I record an action of all the steps to change artboard size???

Ai CC 24.1.3

OSX 10.14.6.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Well, basically it can be done with an action. See the following related thread to get an idea:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/action-to-add-specific-dimension-to-left-and-right-side-of-current-artboard/m-p/8993147?page=1

In your specific case it would even be easier to set up an appropriate action (in the thread that is linked above it was a bit tricky to extend artboards, independent of their actual dimensions).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well this is not possible with actions. If you are comfortable with Scripting, you can write a script to change the size of the artboard. But many things need to be consider

• Is your 159 files have single artboards or multiple?
  • Currently your artboard size is greater than 160mm or smaller than that.
  • If you change the artboard size , may be you need to change the position of your artwork too, if position matters. I mean if your artworks are in center and you change the size of the artboard, then artwork may not be in the center using scripting.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, basically it can be done with an action. See the following related thread to get an idea:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/action-to-add-specific-dimension-to-left-and-right-side-o...

In your specific case it would even be easier to set up an appropriate action (in the thread that is linked above it was a bit tricky to extend artboards, independent of their actual dimensions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, it is working so nicely.

Thanks for sharing this.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch my comments below. Got it.

Thanks for the reply. I see someone is having success. I however, am having no success downloading or unzipping the file that's part of the link to the answer! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you unable to download the file from that link?

Do you get any error?

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to download and unzip. The action changed my artboard; I'd just have to figure out how to modify it to the parameters that I need. That may be beyond me 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download and test a modified version that may suit your needs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OrvdSa3ch7W17ky1jMYjDcjtQ1X7i5iV/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt, could you describe the steps that go into your action? I have run it, looked at it, but I can't figured out how to replicate it with the parameters I need - 26x26px to 400-400px artboard. I know I'm late to the thread, any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mhawker,

does that mean that your required artboard dimensions are always the same (400 × 400 px)?

In that case one could make a simplified version of the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have roughly 150 AI files of 24x24px round icons on 26x26px artboards. I was trying to create an action that changes the artboard size then scaled the icons - both to 400x400px but found the artboard was being ignored. Then I found this post. I will do the actions separately, but can't tell how your action actually works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that you are referring to the action provided in my second link, you would just have to insert a different Select Path (see Actions palette flyout menu) with the required dimensions. The action step is called "Set Work Path" in the action list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines