• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator crashes opening a file.

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CC 2018 (4 times) and every time it crashes when I open a file. Anyone else experiencing this, have a solution (I've removed it, removed preferences, restarted, logged out and in again. Then proceed to get a crash report message every time. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Deactivating the GPU Performance did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a printer connected and turned on?

Does it happen with every file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

We have been waiting for your response to this query. Kindly update the discussion if the issue is resolved. If not, please share a few more details like:

Operating System(Exact Version of Windows or MAC)

Is it happening with a particular file? If yes, would you mind sharing your file?

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.
Doesn't matter what file I try to open.

I can't even create a new file.

I am using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivating the GPU Performance did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivating the GPU Performance fixed it for me! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivating the GPU Performance fixed it for me aswell. I think its becuase its trying to use the GPU as a Visual feed instead of another processor on your system. If your having any troubles on any other programs check the GPU first. Also I downloaded Adobe Acrobat PDF printer aswell before I tried this. I know its a known fix so I hope this extra info helps someone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same problem and its any file i try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

i am having the same problem and its any file i try

Is a printer connected?

If not, connect one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This trick saved me. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the source of the problem.

@michalf63166855 said turning off GPU rendering did the trick for him. This is a workaround, not a diagnosis. The real problem is settings within the GPU settings app released by the manufacturer of the GPU architecture. For an nVidia card, modify the 3D settings for Illustrator in the nVidia Control Panel. I had enabled some 3D enhancements for all of my programs and games in the Global Settings. This caused a problem with Illustrator, so I had to specifically disable these for the Illustrator executable.

nVidia 3D settings cause Illsutrator crash bug.PNG

Manage 3D settings > Program Settings > Select a program to customize > Adobe Illustrator (illustrator.exe)

-> Change all settings to the default settings for the card. If you changed the "Global Settings", the "Program Settings" must be reverted to what they were prior to your modifications of the Global Settings. Every Program Setting that can be set to "Application Controlled" needs to be set to "Application Controlled".

These two changes fixed the problem for me:

~Anti-aliasing mode: Application controlled

~Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting

The "default printer" problem makes zero sense. No programmer would ever check for a printer during a file read. A does not imply B.

@Adobe you need to fix your GPU code to handle the error and give a helpful message, instead of crashing the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMDphreak  schrieb

The "default printer" problem makes zero sense. No programmer would ever check for a printer during a file read. A does not imply B.

That might be the case.

But in the recent 10 years or so we have discovered on the forums in countless threads that an unavailable printer can ineed cause issuess and connecting a printer or setting up a PDF printer can solve them. It's not the only cause of crashes on opening a file, but it's definitely one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't fix it at all for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long thread. Please tell us your exact issue, your setup (system and Illustrator version) and what you already did to address the problem. Please create a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never fix ita at all.  But I don't understand why this will be our user problem to fix the issues every time.  I am just so frustrated.  Can't Adobe Illustrator team actually do somework about it?  They get pay to do so, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can only fix what they can locate. So will you please tell us what your actual issue is? And which system, version this is about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Turning off 3D acceleration either in app or in Nvidia settings as described does not work. Trying to open any .ai file within Illustrator causes a crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So.... About that printer thing. I eventually climbed down from my presupposed-knowledge-tree and switched the default printer. And it worked!

But why would that be a problem for Illustrator? It seems to me that this is something that Adobe should look into and "fix" in a future update. It doesn't make sense that Illustrator should check for printer already at open project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator stores information about the printer in the file (and yes, new documents are also based on existing files), that's what the "Done" button in the "Print" dialog is all about. When Illustrator opens a file, it checks if the printer is still there. And yes, Illustrator shouldn't crash. But it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here, I can approve that changing the standard printer in windows 10 works. Adobe should definitely find a solution for this workaround tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are solutions where changing the printer works, however when I go to edit the printer preferences Illustrator crashes just like when trying to open a file...any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the printer setup in your system.

Which system is it?

What kind of printer do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact issue. Happenned following a couple of Windows 10 system updates. Re-installed Illustrator and CC completely with no fix. Tried the GPU work around. The error kept saying it was 'exceptional access error'.

Turns out changing my default printer to Windows Print to PDF solved it!

First solution - change your default printer ! If I had known this instead of trying everything else, I would have saved 2 days. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked for me after trying everything else,, Adobe really need to fix this problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines