Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ALIGN TOOL DOESN'T WORK

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I have an issue to use the align tool, for alignment the object to center of the art-board as per attach screenshot.

Please advise to fix it.

Thanks & B/regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Please read the documentation: How to move, align, and distribute objects in Illustrator

Align to artboard is an option in the panel. You need to show the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I confused the 2018 version of Illustrator not aligning normally with the 2020 version of Illustrator not aligning normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone at Adobe actually test the functionality before they release it?  Align and Distribute are core tools in Illustrator (and ID) and it not working it ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! I am in the middle of a big job and the align/distrubute functiuon is vital. Please fix urgently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone...? Is this solved now? I'm still having problems with evenly distributing components...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version 24.2.1 seems to work for me.  

FYI:  Adobe is willing to lower subscription rates if you ask nicely.   I had a couple offers from them in one phone call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Engraver. I've just noticed that the 24.2.1 update is available, so I'll download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've downloaded 24.2.1 and the distribute function still does not work.
I just drew five circles and tried to distribute them both horizontally and vertcially and, in both cases, they all ended up on top of each other.

This is really annoying as it is a function I often use.

Adobe, please FIX!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a distribute user.. more center to page or selecting a key item (then expecting it to default back to my preferance:  Page)

I did get distribute to work, seems to stick to Artboard or Selection.    good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After selecting the items you wish to align or distribute, make sure your alignment choice is set to "Align to Selection". 

align.png

When they updated the software recently, the default was reset to "Align to Key Object" (for whatever reason - it really ticks me off when Adobe resets all the customizations with each release). 

If yours got reset and you haven't changed it, that's probably what's causing the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thanks, Vertium, you're a star.

It appears mine was set to "Align to Key Object" in the previous upgrade (prior to 24.2.1). I've changed it as you suggested and it works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A million thanks! I could not figure out why suddenly a basic function like "distribute" was not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO HELPFUL! Thank you for that call out! I thought I was crazy! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My align tool is stuck on align to artboard. I change it with the toggle to align to selection, but it doesn't changed.

I've tried it on my control banner, I've tried it from the align tool. Nothing works. It wont let me choose and keep align to selection. 

Another problem that happened at the same time concerns the scale tool. When I open it up it automatically scales to the last setting. I have to clear it out then add in the scale I need. BOTH are anoying and time consuming when on a tight scheduled. HOW CAN I FIX THIS?! I'm on a mac powerbook running 10.14.6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue. Suddenly my "align to selection" option won't toggle on from the "align to artboard". It isn't grayed out so it looks like I should be able to select "align to selection". But it just doesn't do anything. Hoping for some suggestions. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is from 2018 where Adobe Broke the Align Tool.

GOOD LUCK finding a solution.  

Adobe will soon break whatever that solution is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, it just fixed itself...until next time. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing the exact same thing, I can't get it to change from "Align to Artboard" to "Align to Selection". Has this been answered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's been addressed.  See my answer in the thread above, from July 16, 2020.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link from Monika Gause is from 2017, and the suggested operations don't work for me. When I use "Align to Selection" or "Align to Key Object", nothing happens. Only "Align to Artboard" works. Is there an updated version of the tutorial? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe step by step what you are doing and show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear also this fault happened to me but I correct this and now my align tool is working properly. You only have to select align the tool and at the very bottom right corner select "Align To Artboard" and then enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Corey33314907db3s  schrieb:

not useful

Exactly what does not work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines