Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alpha channel not working for placed image

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am trying to place an image with transparency created with alpha channel in my artwork, but the alpha channel won't work and in the links panel the transparency is set to "no".

In InDesign the alpha channel works fine, so I know there is no problem with the image / alpha channel per se.

Upon placing the image (TIF) into Illustrator, I am not getting any import options, although I have checked the box for this option. Are there none available?

Have found a work around - (deleting the background), but it bugs me that I can't work with alpha channels, so it would be great to understand why this doesn't work in this case above.

Thanks in advance!

/Charlotta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One idea: try PNG instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a file for print, so PNG won't do the work as it is RGB ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pity... how about PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that one, with the same result - works in InDesign but not in Illustrator ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer masks are supported in Illustrator, Alpha channels not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that so ... that was interesting to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can You please post a screenshot of your TIFF into Illustrator document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't do that due to company secrecy but it is an ordinary product image with white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you ticked the checkbox "Save Transparency' in the second dialogue when saving as tiff out of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am sure. (Otherwise it wouldn't work in InDesign either.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a Layer Mask instead of an Alpha channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton,

A layer mask is an alpha channel (look in the channels panel when you make one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A layer mask appears next to the layer and shows the transparency of the layer in the image window.

An Alpha channel shows only how it affects transparency when an application reads and applies it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever you do to the 'layer mask' is simultaneously written to the 'alpha channel' they are essentially one and the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Layer Mask is a "modern" Alpha channel.

Both can be used for transparency but the difference is that a Layer Mask shows you the transparency in Photoshop and an Alpha channel does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simply an Adobe GUI thing, whatever, I give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is simply an Adobe GUI thing.

Applications can only read one Alpha channel (although you may choose which one).

But in Photoshop every layer can have its own Layer Mask, combined they have the same funtion as an Alpha channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note: if you are working with a complex, layered PS you may want to place the layers in a "Layer Group" and create a single "Layer Mask" on the top-level group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

Just a note: if you are working with a complex, layered PS you may want to place the layers in a "Layer Group" and create a single "Layer Mask" on the top-level group.

Correct!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rcraighead  wrote

Re-reading this, I am not sure why you mention a "top-level" group.

If you want a single mask applied to all layers, group them all and apply the mask to the group.

If you have more than one group or groups and layers, you may need to apply layer masks to all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you nest the layers in PS, the “top-most layer" (or "master layer") can contain a mask that affects all the layer content, including sub-layers. My Photoshop terminology may be confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid I don't get it, you mean a Layer Clipping mask?

Can give a screendump of the layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty weak illustration, but the video shows 2 groups with a group and layer inside "Group 2". The raster mask on "Group 2" effects anything in the group, but ignores the bottom layer which is outside the group. I've editing the mask properties to make it translucent and blurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean. Everything has to be inside a group (also other groups and layers) to be affected by the mask of that group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines