Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

arrow keys not working in illustartor

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on Illustrator on Mac 10.5.8 and I use a lot the arrow keys(page up,page down) with combination with shift, but suddenly they stop working,that happens only in illustrator,if i want to use them to scroll on a web page they work fine.

so i was wondering what happend,and how can i fix that?

Thanks!!

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

I just looked in Google for the answer to this too.  I tried to nudge an object and nothing happened.  Well my problem was in Preferences - General - Keyboard Increment had somehow been set to zero.  I put in 1 px and it's back to normal now  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

ItsRainingRobots  schrieb

Alright- it took four re-starts, but now it's okay? This is ridiculous.

Other software interferes with it.

Also: when you don't restart your computer for several days or even weeks, it will utimately mess itself up completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so mush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here in Illustrator 22.1. I checked the Keyboard Increment text area, and it is filled in appropriately, but the Arrow keys still won't budge an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I have same problem in 22.1.

Arrow keys wont nudge anything anywhere.

This is a brand new install of Win 10 and AI. I hadnt been into prefs, but have having found htis post have checked and its correct.

Tried restart os and app etc but still doesnt work.

Thanks for any solution

l.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and there we are I just reset prefs again its working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m having the same problem and I´ve done the latest update. Does anybody know what I could do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just restarted illustrator and the scroll arrows are working again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem now. I checked the keyboard increments- nothing has changed. I haven't installed anything new or done anything at all since I last used illustrator. Went to bed last night and turned it off, turned it back on this morning and now the arrow keys won't move objects. For as much as I pay for this software, I'm getting really sick of all these random little bugs that just "pop up."

Tried re-starting the software, didn't work for me 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ItsRainingRobots  schrieb

Other software interferes with it.

Also: when you don't restart your computer for several days or even weeks, it will utimately mess itself up completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was not the answer. The answer is below in another comment. Please change the solution to that comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing this after the newest Illustrator update & was getting worried my keyboard was wonky. Cleared pref files and restarted computer, and that fixed the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here. I hate Illustrator. BRING BACK FREEHAND ... PLEASE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st restart the app (after making sure the Increment in settings isn't set to 0 which it shouldn't be)

if not - restart the comp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing my work but suddenly my "z" key stopped working in illustrator (still isn't)...... now that's the problem. It is working absolutely fine in typing but I cant zoom in or out through my shortcut key. *scream and cries* hELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart ets. If not you can change the sho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue, and realized that I had put 'View > Snap to pixel' off.. now it works again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my problem too. It works after turning 'snap to pixel' on. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sh!t happened to me today. Somehow some way Illustrator set the keyboard increment to 0.1pt. God knows how and why. Thanks for the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines