• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending between three text outlines is.. weird

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quite new to illustrator and I'm trying to blend between three text outlines. It's acting really strange. Both of these examples have the same blend settings you can see in the right (specified steps: 1). The letter B looks strange, and the one on the left is missing a copy of the word that should be there. I tried this with different fonts but it seems to happen on every one. I'm not sure what to do.

Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

I'd also recommend using live type with multiple strokes/fills with the Tranform Effect applied...

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 14.41.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

For multiple strokes on live text, choose Type in the Appearance Panel, and Add New Stroke. You can select each stroke separately in the Appearance Panel, and apply a separate Transform effect to each stroke to create the different offsets. 

This way you only have one instance of the text, and it's live, so easily edited, while maintaining the exact effects and offsets..

Screenshot 2020-01-22 10.26.03.png         Screenshot 2020-01-22 10.30.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't induce a similar error from here. Can you specify the fonts you tried that showed this? Also, to clarify your steps, did you:

1. Type some text

2. Type > Create Outlines

3. Copy and paste or alt-drag the resulting object

4. Create a blend either by Object > Blend > Make or using the blend tool and clicking on specific parts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried all of this. It seems to happen regardless of what font I choose, and only if I'm blending 3 text outlines. This doesn't happen when I blend between 2. And this only happens with the captial letter B as far as I can tell. It's quite annoying because I need to use this letter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you list some of the fonts you used?

Are you clicking with the blend tool or using the object menu/shortcut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Futura PT bold, Bebas regular, Oswald, and some other ones I cant remember. I tried using both the object menu and the blend tool. I noticed something though, look at the latest reply I made on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't produce a similar result with Futura PT bold. Can you share your file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what is happening with your blend, but if what you are showing is exactly the effect you want, you can do it with live text if you use the Transform effect instead of a blend.
Screenshot 2020-01-22 09.05.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. What I'm really trying to do though is have a different color for each outline and for them to blend together basically. I also want to be able to make the outlines have a spine. End result is on the bottom right

Annotation 2020-01-22 221950.PNG.jpg

Also noticed this only seems to happen with characters or outlines with two holes in them.

Annotation 2020-01-22 222845.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also recommend using live type with multiple strokes/fills with the Tranform Effect applied...

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 14.41.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really not sure how you did that, sorry. I'm new to illustrator. Could you try and explain how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For multiple strokes on live text, choose Type in the Appearance Panel, and Add New Stroke. You can select each stroke separately in the Appearance Panel, and apply a separate Transform effect to each stroke to create the different offsets. 

This way you only have one instance of the text, and it's live, so easily edited, while maintaining the exact effects and offsets..

Screenshot 2020-01-22 10.26.03.png         Screenshot 2020-01-22 10.30.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thank you for helping me out. This is what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Danny_Whitehead deserves the credit, though - he posted the technique - I just expanded a bit the steps involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines