• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

box design needs crank finished. what does that mean?

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started my business and sent the box design to the manufacturer. He said that his designer cannot change content in the ai file because i didn't crank. How do I make sure my box file is ready for the printer to use?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word "crank" is not familiar. Did you automatically translate this from another language? If so, please let us know what the manufacturer said in the original language, someone may recognuse the problem.

Also, which version of Adobe Illustrator do you use, and what file format did you send?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent the .ai file they wanted. i am using the creative cloud latest version of illustrator.

It is difficult because the manufacturere is the middleman communicating between me and his box printer/designer. But he did send me a screenshot of his illustrator screen. even though his menus are in chinese I deduced by location he wanted me to select all text. I selected all text and created outlines, I just guessed that is what he wanted. I sent the new box and manual so I will get an answer tomorrow. 

" Our designer told me that he can't change the content on packing and manual. The reason as follow: The packing the manual document did crank"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should consider getting someone involved who has experience preparing packaging designs and working with Chinese packaging suppliers. A freelance production artist for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cbf,

Outlining Type is actually the most frequent way to destroy the ability to change content.

I wonder whether the box printer has the fonts you have used; without them, they will be substituted.

It should be noted that it would most likely (depending on the font licences) violate the licence terms to send the fonts along.

This is avoided when using PDFs.

Is the manufacturer going to have changes to the text on the boxes, made by the box printer?

Any changes made to your design raises the question of (your) rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite common to ask for outline fonts in packaging, even if it does downgrade the options for optimal prepress. Sometimes it is because they use other (non Adobe) prepress software, but mainly they want you to do the downgrade to keep their backs free. It is a surprise in some ways that they ask that as font's can easily be converted to outlines by prepress action in Adobe Acrobat DC or most other PDF software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

send him the font or you can create outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create "outlines" that is exactly what our printing company said too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KB60191 

A better idea is to find a new printing company that takes live text.

To convert text to outlines:

Selection tool > select text object > Type menu > Create Outlines

Make a copy of the text first and hide it. There is no going back.

Your question got marked "Correct" and I unmarked it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text. From text menu select create outline. You can also select object expand.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both! This worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines