Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I paste a graphic into a text box?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Freehand I used to do this all the time:

I can create a text box and a grouped vector graphic. They are separate in this example:

1.jpg

Next, I can "Copy" or "Cut" the image (for this example, I will copy it), then place my text tool in the text box and "Paste" the image there:

2.jpg

Note that the lines of text have separated where the image is, because the image is 50 points (the text info box tells me) and the text is 24. pt. (Basically, it's like I typed a 50-point letter in that part of the text box). Now I can select all of the text and decide I want everything to be 30 point. It will resize the graphic, too, as shown, below. This last part is not necessary, but what I love about being able to insert text like this is: when I am working with multiple pages of a document, formatting and reformatting, that graphic will stay where it needs to be (for example, I might use it in the beginning of each sentence like a bullet):

3.jpg

Does Illustrator do anything like this? Thank you in advance if you can point me in the right direction!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

I am afraid that is not possible in Illustrator, a graphic anchored  as part of a text stream.

"Inline Graphics" is the name in InDesign, that has that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheryl,

As I (mis)understand it, Wrap Text ( you may scroll or search to get down to it), as described here

How to create text in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No ,this is not text-wrapping at all. This is actually pasting a graphic into the text box, as text. hard to describe, but let's say right now I type the word "THE" which creates a text box. And I select the "H" and paste a graphic. It would appear as T(graphic)E. and if I select the whole word and make it twenty-four point, then the graphic becomes 24 point right along with it -- and would still look like "T(graphic)E".

And I could select the graphic using the text tool. And if I did that and typed a "J", then the graphic would disappear and all you would see is "TJE". You could manipulate it as you would with any block of text. See what I mean?

I LOVED this FreehandMX feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that is not possible in Illustrator, a graphic anchored  as part of a text stream.

"Inline Graphics" is the name in InDesign, that has that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sadly confirming that, Ton. Maybe I will play with InDesign. I've never really looked at that out before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Cheryl

The combination of Illustrator and InDesign is very good, graphics from Illustrator and superior typography in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheryl,

While you wait until the vote is carried through to a new feature, or till the end of time, whichever occurs first, you can, if you also have InDesign, download and use the free IndyFont_Demo script kindly made available and described by Theunis here:

[Ann] IndyFont Demo: make your own (1 character) font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob, but that is way more work than I want, to do something as simple as keeping a graphic with the text that it needs to stay next to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my small part you are welcome, Cheryl.

Is it an option to create the whole inline graphics with Freehand and then copy and paste? Some (sometimes) combine different applications, or different versions, to bring the best from each together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines