• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Illustrator export WebP format?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I export art from Illustrator to WebP format?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

That is not supported at the moment.

There used to be a plugin for Photoshop that could do it, but I don't know if it is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not supported at the moment.

There used to be a plugin for Photoshop that could do it, but I don't know if it is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, OK, that sucks.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solutions I've found to save vector Illustrator graphics as WebP are the following;

1. You either copy paste the vector into a PSD and use WebPShop plugin (it's free), or

2. You place an Illustrator file in the Photoshop doc and use the plugin mentioned above.

Here's the link to the plugin: https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or... U can use free software as XNView or IrfanView, to do what the PAID Illustrator can´t!!!

Adobe Guys... Webp is already 11 years old, and the current standard por the web... is it too much to ask for a product not using XX century standards only? Is Illustrator intended for print only? Does ayone at Adobe use that... new stuff... called internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to reach out to the developers, post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

And then try to convince people to support your feature request.

This forum is 95% not Adobe staff. You simply don't reach them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all these years, WebP is now able to become a standard with Safari finally adding support for the first time in macOS Big Sur. So we've had to use other formats for compatability with Safari. Yes other browsers have supported WebP for a long time (and I think Adobe apps should be able to export them), but it's only very recently that it's finally working in all browsers (but not old Safari on previous versions of macOS).

From Illustrator I typically want vectors though, so SVG is normally how I export from Illustrator. 

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dan Rodney Since you only work with SVG exports from Illustrator, can you offer guidance in using SVG filters? I'm in a rabbit hole trying to problem solve the curved edges (that bitmap with the new 26.0.1 update), the neumorphic effect with drop shadow and highlight filter layers. I can build simple versions in XD but have not successfully exported to SVG any native built files or downloaded Adobe Stock illustrations that use the effects.

I haven't been able to find custom SVG filters that I can import, edit the existing filters without accessing and understanding code in the fx edit panel, or source XD templates with SVG Neumorphic elements that I would be happy to purchase if I knew where to look. It seems everything related to this affect is not available in an Adobe product. I downloaded Inkscape which is wp3 compliant and works with SVG natively, but I'll need to train on the program based on first impression. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Google's WebShop - You can download the latest plugin for Photoshop. It allows you to open WebP files in Photoshop, AND lets you save other formats to WebP. Note that it's a different process than the "export to screens" - You have to "save as" then choose that format in the bottom. Then a different dialog window will open up allowing you to choose your settings.

I saved a PNG file as a WebP file, and the file size went from 60kb to 38kb. Then I tested a large file 

Here's where you can download it:
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/download

Here's the page with more info about the Photoshop Plugin: 
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop 

Here are instructions for installation on Windows or Mac (I'm using a mac):
https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop#installation 

Note that the instructions aren't overly clear, but when you install it (at least on a mac anyway), it won't show up in the "plugins" palette, it just shows up when you go to save it, and it will allow you to open the file type as well. Lastly - I had to run that code in terminal on the Installation page, too, as my system is a later version so it requires permissions set.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to finish that paragraph about testing a larger file -- I haven't done it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like this is a response to Photoshop. Do you actually mean to say it also works for Illustrator? This thread is about Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot that this was about Illustrator - which is why I ended up here in the first place as I was hoping there was a plugin for it, too.

However, you CAN do what I do (which is a pain, I know) but that is, do your files up the way you wan them in illustrator, then bring in the .ai file into Photoshop, and save it as a .webp format. That's the only way I know right now to do that - which really doesn't solve the issue of it not being in Illustrator, but at least it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally Illustrator 2022 has WebP export access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They added support for opening them, but not exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug A Roberts Do you use Adobe Illustrator for exporting SVG's? I'm having enormous trouble since I need to include filters for drop shadows, transparency, color and blur effects. The 26.0.1 still does not work well- bitmapped curved edges and editing features for the filters requires code. We plan to do animation, do you prefer WP3 format over SVG? If so, why? 
Thanks for any time you have for input! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use either format with any regularity. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely correct. Sorry for misinforming above everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just can open.. Not export.. 2022... In 19th century...

No major improvements at all in this version, and already a hotfox, as
usual...
Why am I still paying for this?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 2023, can illustrator export to webp yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps others searching for this:
Photoshop is able to save to webp via the "save as copy" function. So exporting the illustrator graphic to a photoshop readable format and saving there as webp is a somewhat feasable workaround. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the issue with that is, you can only do that one by one. The best option for multiple is to use a converter. Wouldnt it be nice to be able to do all that with the adobe programs..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. And the PS workaround, can be ANY free Software workaround: an
intermediate step to do a simple task.... Illustrated is supposed to be
THE program to generate vector graphics, with, might be, sometimes, can
be used in something called ... let's see..... oh... web Page!!. And AI
is unable to do such simple task, when Google will rank your page better
if U use the OLD format that Adobe... is not supporting....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible now from version 27.8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!! finally it is here.... and it only took 13 years to implement it!!!
WebP 

Initial release30 September 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines