• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm in CS4 and trying to open an eps file and get the message:

Can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try again.

The file won't even open, and I've never had this message before. Does anyone know how to fix or deal with this?

Thanks,

Michael

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

I've just had the same problem. The illustrator windows shrunk and and said won't open it but then if you maximize the window it will do. WEIIIIIRRDDD but works!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To update on this issue, it appears that I can only open an illustrator file using the file>open, route. But I am able to open files when the document window is not maxamised in the application window.

This is such a weird bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried when the illustrator window is not maximized and it opens

files, but when the illustrator is maximized, it gives an error, maximized

window shrinks to tiny where the only top tabs appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its so strange, the bug keeps changing! Also doesn't work when you try and open a file by going Open>with from your finder of documents window, only works if you open it through illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bug as rebeccatelrock.

It is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here with windows7, cs6 and a Dell Laptop. The issue only happens when the window is maximized, otherwise documents open fine, but obviously this isn't optimal since I always work in fullscreen view...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A coworker having the same issue explained that it's related to A. having multiple monitors and B) closing documents with the vs through the file menu. He's been able to avoid this issue by closing documents by not x-ing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh I was using multiple monitors when I had this issue. I now work of a single screen and have no had the issue reoccur since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same problem. The illustrator windows shrunk and and said won't open it but then if you maximize the window it will do. WEIIIIIRRDDD but works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Same here. Same "Solution"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg it really works! thank you for saving my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. I'm always abruptly stopped in the middle of my creative flow to mess around and have to drag the file using Alt+Tab to the top of the workspace. I don't know why it's so annoying, it just seems like a small detail that Adobe can take care of. I often have a train of thought going on, and I have to re-orient myself after experiencing the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Solution for this is to ... before opening your file , you must go to last tab in the illustrator , then open the file , all is ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Illustrator CS6 on Windows 8.1. Same problem. Fixed by using File->Open instead of opening normally by clicking on file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found fix here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpOrozyrWA

Resize the window from its small size to a larger size (don't maximize).

Try opening the file again.

Worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get that error anymore thankfully, but I was just dragging and dropping for the time being. Nothing else worked otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flJmPNQ.jpg

Here is my solution:

1: When Tab AI is Min like the picture -> Use mouse and drag at the bottom right  -> Follow the narrow

2: Use explore

3: Open your file AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key is to make the minimized window just a little smaller than the maximized. I was having this problem when launching a smart object from photoshop. It would always take it to the minimized window and give me an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC under Windows 10, when opening a file from file explorer by hitting enter it happens every, one, two files. very annoying especially illustrator is in maxed out window and by hitting enter on a file to open it, illustrator's window shrinks and this error pops out. since this is CC and people reported it back in CS4 seems like we can't hope for a quick fix and meanwhile, I should maybe learn to open files the way Adobe considers the right way and does not trigger the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess this isn't getting fixed. 8 years now 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ten years and counting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys, there is a video on youtube that guides you on how to fix this problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpOrozyrWA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this error message for the first time and tried all the suggestions, including the one marked "Solved" but it didn't solve the problem. I increased the window size, I tried opening it directly from within Illustrator, I tried every YouTube trick. I still get the message "Can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try again."

It's 2022. This shouldn't still be a problem! Any ideas? I'm on a Retina 5K iMac running macOS Monterey 12.6 with 128GB RAM and more than enough hard drive space. Thanks in advance for solutions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem too. After all these years, I'm kind of amazed that this is a continuing problem. 

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jade786 @JasonSWrench,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience we want you to have.

Would you mind sharing the download link to the Ai file, including all linked files and your system specifications?

Also, please confirm the exact version of OS & Ai.

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

The problem wasn't file specific. Any time I was within AI and tried to open a new file, I would get that pop-up window saying there wasn't room. I learned if I stretched out the new file box when it did it the first time, it would stop happening. I wish I had a video of this. If it happens again, I'll record it for a better explanation of what was happening. 

As for OS, I'm on Windows 10 and using the most recently released version of AI.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines