Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save file 'this file cannot be found' error

Engaged ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I've been working on a file for a cople of days that's on my desktop. Today I opened the file, made some edits and hit CMD + S and saw this error...

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.37.05 AM.png

Things I've tried...

1. Copying the art into a new document and saving
  2. Saving the new document to different disks (all local, no servers)
  3. Creating a blank document with nothing in it and saving

Bascially, I can't save anything - has anyone else seen this?

Cheers

Ben

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 7 Correct answers

Explorer , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

I think I know why this is happening. I have 2 Adobe accounts - one that has full access and one that only has free access. A mistake I made a while back was setting up an adobe stock account using my free account instead of my paid account, so to buy stock images, I have to log out of the account that my Illustrator, Photoshop, etc programs are connected to, log into my free one, get the images I want, save, and log out.

When this same issue happened to me, I was logged into the free account th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Howdy!

I was having this problem too, but may have found a FIX!, though I don't know how or why it works. I change the document colour mode (RGB/CYMK) from whichever I am using then undo (so my file doesnt look whack) then save again and it works. Would love if someone who is having this problem could attempt this and verify.

Best,

e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Hi @Anshul_Saini and @Monika Gause It was none of the suggestions in this thread! I even completely uninstalled Illustrator and started again, same thing. Further research led me to a random comment on another forum mentioning Controlled Access Folders. I found them here: settings > updates & security > windows security >  virus and threat protection > Ransomware protection > Manage ransomware protection > Controlled Access Folders with a little on/off button! The button was on... switched it of

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Hello - I was having the same issue. Could not save and got the error, "file not found." My fix was that I saved the file as a PDF first. Then saved as an AI file and it did not error. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

I turned off the VPN of my pc security software then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

For me, its because windows controlled folder access blocking the access to required folder path. To cope with it, you need to allow the app access.

Go to windows security > Virus & Threat protection > Ransomware protection > and under controlled folder access, click Allow an app through Controlled folder access

Then add illustrator and adobe services to allowed app list

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

I had the same issue and instead of double clicking the document, I dragged it down to the Illustrator icon in my Dock and it opened up just fine. I hope I don't have that issue again though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 137 Replies 137
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the file in EPS format, then restart Illustrator and reopen the file and save it in AI format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and still couldn't save even after trying the save as SVG trick. I found that in the save dialog box if unchecked the "use compression" I could get the file to save as normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if I end all tasks under Adobe Illustrator in Task Manager and leave open only the task with the file that can't be saved  - then when I go back to Illy the file will save....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save as and with .eps, it works.

Then quit the program and start it again.

Open the .eps file you've just saved.

Save as and change it to be .ai.

Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have multiple accounts to log out of like the "CORRECT ANSWER" seems to have as a fix.

What works for me: do not just hit save with the ai file extension selected in the pull-down menu,

Type out .ai manually in the file name (Save as) . Never have the error message if I do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround, I clicked on Share Document and saved it to the cloud. After it saved to the cloud the doc automatically saved and I was also able to save as afer this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem the solution to this lies with the location in which the file is saved. I found that I could save the same file to a memory stick or even another folder inside the folder in question. Weird but worked. Damn Adobe, sort our your coding....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the same issue, but I found the issue. It happens when you have multiple instances of Illustrator running. Check your taskmanager to quit all existing ones and then open Illustrator again. It will solve the issue. With me it happened because Windows prompted me to restart for a update. On rebooting to windows again somehow it tried to reopen illustrator automatically (I didn't close it when I rebooted) When I manually launched illustrator this behavior appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to anyone that might see this... can't believe this is still happening this long after the original post!

Having the same problem, after reading all the previous scenarios I've tried:

saving to cloud then trying to save as ai -nope

saving to a different folder -nope

only one application of illustrator 

only one file open 

forcing close via task pane - it didn't recover the file

🤷‍:female_sign:

This was all done with a newly created document to test the options so it didn't matter that I lost it. I have actually lost one piece of work, luckily an easily recreated piece, but it might not have been! 
I dare not open anything in case I lose more, I am at a standstill... any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

😤😩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably using a different version.

Please create a new thread and tell us your version and system.

Also: what exactly is happening step by step.

Try and turn off "Save in background" in the preferences.

Check all your fonts

Connect a printer (or set up a PDF printer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply @MonikaGause will do 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sallyannpurser,

We are sorry for the trouble. I would like to know if the steps suggested by Monika worked for you or not? If not, I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• OS & version of Ai
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Is it acting this way with some specific files or all?
  • Do you have multiple Adobe accounts?
  • Did you recently change the password for your Adobe account? If yes, please sign out and sign back in.

Also, you may try uninstalling and then re-installing Illustrator and share your observations with us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini and @Monika Gause It was none of the suggestions in this thread! I even completely uninstalled Illustrator and started again, same thing. Further research led me to a random comment on another forum mentioning Controlled Access Folders. I found them here: settings > updates & security > windows security >  virus and threat protection > Ransomware protection > Manage ransomware protection > Controlled Access Folders with a little on/off button! The button was on... switched it off and no problems. Just to make sure, I switched it back on again and tried exactly the same save I had just done with the button of, and I had the same problems as before. Swithced it back off again and it has been working fine since. I can only presume that the button was somehow turned on after updates? I hope you can share this information with all the other people who have had this problem.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Sally Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the solution. This will definitely help the Windows users facing this issue.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Illustrator version 26.3 (2022) and I am having the same issue. Can't save files. Get the error "file not found" when I try to save. Is there no solution for this. I was shocked to find out that for almost 50 Euros a month, there is no point of contact for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  If you go back through all of the 3 pages in this thread, there are a few different methods that were posted to be able to save the file, from different users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katherine, Thanks. I tried them but nothing seems to solve it other than using the Task MAnager to crash Illustrator and then hoping that it recovers the file. Not much of a solution I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Thoughtfission,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind sharing  a few details like:

• The exact version of the OS
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Is it acting this way with some specific files or all?
  • Do you have multiple Adobe accounts?
  • Did you recently change the password for your Adobe account? If yes, please sign out and sign back in.
  • Where are your files saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

Also, you may try the following steps in order and share your observation with us:

1.  Turn OFF "Save in background" from the Ai preferences.
  2.  Turn OFF "GPU Performance" from the Ai preferences.
  3. Try uninstalling and then re-installing Illustrator and share your observations with us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I checked if there was an issue with my ransomware tool, I don't have the same option as suggested.  I check to see if I could open my data recovery file, since I have it set to save every 2 minutes...There is nothing in the folder.  This "Cannot File File" doesn't happen all the time, just when I need it not to happen.  Apparently, my Data Recovery hasn't been working from the get go and it's check box is on.  I've tried exporting as PDF and still get the same issue.  We work from a server, so instead of saving to the server, I saved attempted to save to the desktop...same error.  I tried opening up a different file to see if it was just the one file.  Nope.  The opened file had the same error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @g80420514,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would it be possible for you to share the information asked above?

This is info will help us investigate the issue further.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the 2nd time gotten this error in this short amount of time.  

I am running the following:

Windows 10 Pro

My Illustrator is up to date on CC

I am not the admin, but my admin has multiple accounts of CC, but I have my own account and password to access CC. I am the only one experiencing this problem.  I turned off the GPU and Save in Background as suggested and am still getting the error. I have attempted to save to our shared server and to my desktop and it produces the same results.  I have been getting this error for 2 years, but it has never been this bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the antivirus issues as suggested.  The only way I can get Illustrator to save is if I save as an EPS or shut down the program completely.  It will not allow me to save as PDF or AI at all. Shutting down the program causes me to lose all the work I had done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a suggestion in an earlier post to make sure you're logged into the appropriate Adobe account. When I experienced the issue, I was logged into an account where I still had some Adobe stock image credits. This account didn't have Adobe Suite access. The program access came from my work account. Once I logged into the work account, everything started working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have one password and email that is it linked to my Adobe account.
I have been using this account for years. This issue only came up with the
past 2 years of Adobe Product.

*Thank You,*
-Raul Garcia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines