Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save file 'this file cannot be found' error

Engaged ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I've been working on a file for a cople of days that's on my desktop. Today I opened the file, made some edits and hit CMD + S and saw this error...

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.37.05 AM.png

Things I've tried...

1. Copying the art into a new document and saving
  2. Saving the new document to different disks (all local, no servers)
  3. Creating a blank document with nothing in it and saving

Bascially, I can't save anything - has anyone else seen this?

Cheers

Ben

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 7 Correct answers

Explorer , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

I think I know why this is happening. I have 2 Adobe accounts - one that has full access and one that only has free access. A mistake I made a while back was setting up an adobe stock account using my free account instead of my paid account, so to buy stock images, I have to log out of the account that my Illustrator, Photoshop, etc programs are connected to, log into my free one, get the images I want, save, and log out.

When this same issue happened to me, I was logged into the free account th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Howdy!

I was having this problem too, but may have found a FIX!, though I don't know how or why it works. I change the document colour mode (RGB/CYMK) from whichever I am using then undo (so my file doesnt look whack) then save again and it works. Would love if someone who is having this problem could attempt this and verify.

Best,

e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Hi @Anshul_Saini and @Monika Gause It was none of the suggestions in this thread! I even completely uninstalled Illustrator and started again, same thing. Further research led me to a random comment on another forum mentioning Controlled Access Folders. I found them here: settings > updates & security > windows security >  virus and threat protection > Ransomware protection > Manage ransomware protection > Controlled Access Folders with a little on/off button! The button was on... switched it of

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Hello - I was having the same issue. Could not save and got the error, "file not found." My fix was that I saved the file as a PDF first. Then saved as an AI file and it did not error. 

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

I turned off the VPN of my pc security software then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

For me, its because windows controlled folder access blocking the access to required folder path. To cope with it, you need to allow the app access.

Go to windows security > Virus & Threat protection > Ransomware protection > and under controlled folder access, click Allow an app through Controlled folder access

Then add illustrator and adobe services to allowed app list

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

I had the same issue and instead of double clicking the document, I dragged it down to the Illustrator icon in my Dock and it opened up just fine. I hope I don't have that issue again though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 137 Replies 137
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is the correct answer, because I generally don't work with VPN on and still had this problem.

By @Marcin Wik

This thread has several correct answers since there are several causes for the issue. Individual for people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've figured out.... Adobe just plain sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the accepted solutions and none of them worked for me. Then I opened the creative cloud app. There was an update prompt, after I selected "update" illustrator was able to save again, didn't need to quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

18 business card files open, one lousy change needs made on all and I get this error.  All file types, all files.  After reading EnzoLH's post I thought, no way.  However, this was the simplest and safest way to try first.  I switched just 1 of the 18 files from CMYK to RGB, then back again.  It worked!  I was able to save the files as-if that error never happened.  Yeah, I don't get it either!  Oviously a bug on Adobe's end, after an update.  Yeah, I don't get it either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@aleahmach1  schrieb:

I switched just 1 of the 18 files from CMYK to RGB, then back again. 

Business cards?

Did you check your colors afterwards? Because that step converted the blacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did go back and check each file afterwards, all remained CMYK.  After I finished I did close the program and reboot.  No errors after that on other files I was working on.  Weirdest glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same issue. Luckily I hadn't done too much work by the time I wanted to save. Tried other things on this thread but ended up giving up and closing illustrator without saving. When I reopened it I tried saving a new document and it was back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, its because windows controlled folder access blocking the access to required folder path. To cope with it, you need to allow the app access.

Go to windows security > Virus & Threat protection > Ransomware protection > and under controlled folder access, click Allow an app through Controlled folder access

Then add illustrator and adobe services to allowed app list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and instead of double clicking the document, I dragged it down to the Illustrator icon in my Dock and it opened up just fine. I hope I don't have that issue again though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another way Adobe sucks, and I can't IMAGINE what they're doing with all the money we pay them every month for the privilege of using insanely bugged software that they never fix. Same issues for years and years and years and years. Constantly running into walls that make meeting deadlines a complete nightmare. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TL:DR - Pause your VPN

This is absolutely rediculous, but I was experiencing the same issue and after testing and reading this thread, I can confirm a solution.  This issue happens every so often for me using illustrator. While trying to save a file I need to get to the printer, the updated print file would not save.  I tried everything I could think of, including changing the file name so it is a new file, changing where the file would be saved, changing the file format from ai to pdf...  I even tried changing the color space from CMYK to RGB as suggested in this thread.  Then I read a post giving the solution.

I have a VPN on my laptop workstation because I travel frequently for work and it is not safe to use hotel internet unprotected. Putting NordVPN on pause for 5 minutes instantly let me save the file, but pausing my VPN puts my computer and client files (aka my livlihood) at risk.

<rant>
ADOBE. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO VERIFY MY LOCATION TO YOU TO SAVE FILES TO MY HARD DRIVE. I have been using Adobe products since 1995 and time and time again you add "features" to the platform that inhibit my ability to work, sometimes changing functionality to do the exact opposite of what it has done for decades.  A few versions ago you changed the "constrain proportions" feature from what used to be holding shift and dragging a corner to default to the exact opposite; holding shift BREAKS constrain proportions and dragging the corner without shift constrains automatically.  So the people who have been using the program for decades and need it for work have to either change their engrained workflow or search the web for an obscure fix to turn it back to how it was before.  Even more rediculous... YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE CHANGE ACROSS ALL APPLICATIONS. Meaning the constrain proportions functionality works how it always used to work in Illustrator, InDesign, and the other apps.  THIS IS STUPID. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
</rant>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is sooo much truth to your rant.

Another thing they changed in Photoshop is let's say I have 15 image files open. I go through the process of saving the original files as optimized pics and no longer need them open. If I close the files one at a time,  I have to click on the X to close it out and then click "yes" to verify" that I don't want to save the original file. This is an easy task if it's one file, but it's very time consuming when it's 10 or 20 or 30, as I often have to do.

To speed up my workflow, I optimize and save everything I need to save and then instead of X-ing out of each file individually,  I x out of Photoshop. Doing so assures it ONLY asks me if I am sure I want to close the file without saving, so it's essentially auto-closing the file and only asking me to verify I don't want to save the file. This saves 50% of the process... until now. I've noticed that after the action of saying NO to the file save multiple times, Photoshop assumes I want to auto close all files without having to say "no save" (which is true) AND that I want to completely shut down Photoshop. So now I have to re-open Photoshop.

It has become abundantly clear that Photoshop is designed by smart engineers who simply don't use the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattl63375823  schrieb:

It has become abundantly clear that Photoshop is designed by smart engineers who simply don't use the software.

This is the Illustrator forum. You have questions about Photoshop: ask there. You want to complain about Photoshop, do that in the Photoshop forum. There are different teams for the apps.

You want to complain to the Illustrator team, post there: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

If it's about saving files, please read this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html  

Also: software engineers are engineers, not designers or pro photographers. You want them to write functioning code, not make pretty pictures. If you do not like the route they take with the app, join the beta program and make your voice heard. This public forum is used 95% by volunteers. 

Ranting doesn't get you anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines