Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capture Drop event

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The last couple of days I've been exploring the CEP extensions in order to do a simple task.

In the samples I find a lot of drag&drop information when dealing with custom panels but my case is a bit different.

What I want to achieve:

If a user drops a file from the OS or any other external source (ex. browser) I want to get a reference to the dropped file in the Illustrator document and change some properties.

The newly created "linked" file is immediately selected after dropping so I just need some kind of event to subscribe to.. I've carefully read the CEP documentation about capturing/dispatching events but they only state a few basic events like documentAfterActivate etc... these allow me to do some things but don't get me any closer 🙂

Reading some more documentation about the Illustrator SDK I think the best approach would be to create an Illustrator Notifier Plugin that notifies me of "some" event and dispatches the event to my CEP extension to be handled. I'm not familiar with the c++ SDK so that might be a problem!

Any advice?

Kind Regards,

Krikke

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CEP panels just dont have the advanced abilities of a full blown SDK extension written in C++.

Makes it tricky as my head has decided C++ and Visual Studio should always look blurry and trying to bring it into focus just results in a headache.

I think as the panels use an embedded chromium with full html5 support, this means you should be able to drag and drop the file to your panel to get the reference you need. then place the file in the doc using JSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Qwertyfly,

Thanks for the info. That seems like a do-able workaround. I'll just keep this post open a little longer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good, I still hope I'm wrong and there is a better option, with decent callbacks for panels.

fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines