• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Configuration of units

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, every time I reopen Illustrator it forgets the configuration of the measurments. What can I do to change this ?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

The units in Preferences are only used when documents without units are created.

If you open an image or a PDF (saved without Illustrator editing capabilities), it will use the Preferences setting. Existing Illustrator documents or new documents (which are based on a preset) will keep their units.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also change the setting in the New Document-dialog? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The New Document dialog has the power to override your chosen units in Preferences, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The units in Preferences are only used when documents without units are created.

If you open an image or a PDF (saved without Illustrator editing capabilities), it will use the Preferences setting. Existing Illustrator documents or new documents (which are based on a preset) will keep their units.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,

I came across this problem in our 2 worstations too (OSX10.14.6, Ai 24.3), all remaining ones are keeping set units. Unforunatelly units are also used in Preferences > General > Keyboard Increment which is used all the time.

Is there any way to keep it set? All other preferences are saved.

Thank you Ryszard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryszard, there is no way to have your preferences setting determine the units of existing or new documents unless the new document does not have units (like an image) or when the preferences units setting is changed for an open document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ton for your reply.

I know about document setting and all is ok in this regard.

Our problem and I belive is the same to thread owner is that general units A in picture below are changing to (pixels in our case) every time Illustrator is lunched. This settings is affecting Keyboard Increment B, which is a bit annoying. Strangely all other settings stay unchanged. Is binning preferences will be next option? Or is there something causing it?

Thank you Ryszard

ai settings.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, units are changing when documents are opened.

If I have a document with pixels as unit and an increment of 1 px and I open a documnet withm mm, the increment will change to 0,3528 mm.

When I create a new document with pixels, my increment does not change back to 1 px, but becomes 1,0001 px

Is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ton,

I meant if general units are changed, operator have to use chosen units to define increment, which is very inconvinitent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I understand that you want to change your units to mm you don't want to autmatically change the unit for increments as well. That would be one for a feature request:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John Mensinger,

It's it "The New Document dialog has the power to override your chosen units in Preferences, unfortunately."

I would never tough it may change global preferences, this is extremely annoying bug. A mosquito even.

Thanks Ryszard 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help !

It was indeed the "new document" dialog.

In my opinion the "settings" dialog should have to power to overwrite this kind of documents ... (as it has been every time before ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines