• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Type on a path elipse back to elipse

Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to convert a Type on a Path elipse back to an ordinary elipse. I've tried Effect>Convert to Shape>Elipse>Shape options without success. Must have done this in the past but can't think how. Thoughts, anyone? 

Thanks

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Michael,

You can (after deselecting if selected) Alt/OptionClickDrag over the ellipse (away from the Type) with the Direct Selection Tool to select just that, then Ctrl/Cmd+C+B to have a new independent path beneath the Path Type, then just delete the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Michael,

Below is a longer and hopefully more intelligible version of my suggestion, based on the (mis)understanding that you wish to go back to the original plain/notext ellipse.

If you wish to have both the ellipse and the Type, just skip 4).

And the rest of what Hans-Jürgen said.

You can:

1) Click an empty spot to deselect your Path Type;

2) ClickDrag with the Direct Selection Tool while holding Alt (for Win) or Option (for Mac) over the ellipse (away from the Type) with the Direct Sele

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

You can (after deselecting if selected) Alt/OptionClickDrag over the ellipse (away from the Type) with the Direct Selection Tool to select just that, then Ctrl/Cmd+C+B to have a new independent path beneath the Path Type, then just delete the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob

Not quite getting it, so maybe I didn't explain it properly. Please see the attached.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry thought the screencap would appear in reply just posted.

Type on a Path elipse.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael5ED9 

if @Jacob Bugges post don't answer your question ( I would have given you the same answer) - say you need a duplicate of the circle for a second lettering at the top of the circle.

Please explain a bit more in detail what you really want.

for example:

• a duplicate of the circle without text
  • the same circle but lost all the type
  • change type into paths and lost the circle
  • or something else???

What is your final goal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Below is a longer and hopefully more intelligible version of my suggestion, based on the (mis)understanding that you wish to go back to the original plain/notext ellipse.

If you wish to have both the ellipse and the Type, just skip 4).

And the rest of what Hans-Jürgen said.

You can:

1) Click an empty spot to deselect your Path Type;

2) ClickDrag with the Direct Selection Tool while holding Alt (for Win) or Option (for Mac) over the ellipse (away from the Type) with the Direct Selection Tool to select just that; you can do that in the upper part well away from the actual Type at the bottom;

3) Hold Ctrl (for Win) or Cmd (for Mac) while you press C and then B to have a new independent path beneath the Path Type;

4) Switch to the (normal) Selection Tool, then Click the Path Type (easy to see/do at the bottom) and press Delete so you only have the ellipse from 3); as another way of selecting the original Path Type you can also click it in the expanded Layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution worked and just would never have occured to me. Greatly appreciate you taking time to explain all this in detail – such small, but vital things, really help with production.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a different shape. Tried to follow all the steps several times and with slight differences, but it always results in a new TYPE path. What can I be doing wrong? It is a rather complex shape (of a bear), so it is hard to reproduce by hand. I work on Windows with the latest version of Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, I just found out what to do: after selecting the path with the direct selection tool, you have to switch back to the normal Selection tool before copying the shape. This worked for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, why can I not delete my posts here? I just discovered that I was wrong again, because I could not repeat the steps. I now found out I have to select the shape with the direct selection tool (without dragging, or I will select the text part too), go back to the normal selection tool, hit Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V (which only pastes the short selected peace of the path), hit Ctrl+Z (undo) and then Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V again and for some reason this does the trick (and I can repeat this with the same result). I am only posting this here in case someone has the same issue. Hopefully this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOcreationsBE,

When you hold Alt (for Win) or Option (for Mac) when using the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow which then has a plus added), as mentioned in 2) in the longer suggestion to Michael, you select the entire path without the text.

That is also the way you can Direct Select an entire object within a Group, and even more.

The white arrow with the plus is called the Group Selection Tool (even though it also works differently without any Group involved), you can see more here,

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, you are right, that works too! And much better than my crazy unlogical way. My problem was that I used 'dragging' to select the path, as mentioned in 2) This selected the path including the text. No matter how careful I was not to select the 'text part', it always selected the path as a type path.
Thanks for responding so quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, NOcreationsBE.

Concerning deletion of posts, only our Adobe staff friends can do that, on request. Editing of posts can be done by moderators, and by posters themselves when reaching a certain level of participation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pixxxelschubser appreciate the contribution. Jacob's solution below works.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Michael.

There are many small vital thing to know, and remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines