• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting layered psd file to vector?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to convert a layered psd file to a vector file but have never used illustrator (cs5). Could someone please help me with the steps I need to accomplish this? It is a logo I've created that is all white on a transparent background. I'm on a mac, OS 10.7.4

Thanks for your help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Monika+Gause  wrote

...lacks some of the more advanced features of Illustrator for the moment like Live tracing

they should keep it that way.

It also lacks support for multiple fills and strokes per object or knockout groups.

And of course it's not completely compatible with AI files.

@Doug - Not sure why you think they shouldn't include something like live trace in Affinity, personally form me it's the only thing I think Illustrator is good for and honestly, it could be a lot better at it if some thought was put into it.

@Monkia - Multiple fills and strokes etc is a very new addition to Adobe even, so I'm sure it will catch up soon enough, considering the products only 2 years old they've got a lot of things right that Adobe haven't IMO.

As for compatibility maybe you could say that it's not perfect, but honestly I think that's just being pedantic. I've not had a single issue, every AI file I've imported has translated perfectly as far as I can tell. I work with a lot of third party files, not ones I've created myself. So I may not see things the original authors would, but comparing a rendered preview/how they open in my copy of Illustrator with how it outputs in Affinity, I've not been able to see any difference and everything retains great editability, in some cases, I think the Affinity version looks better at least compared to non-creative cloud versions.

In fact due to poor backwards compatibility on Adobe's part. It can open AI files that Illustrator (CS5/CS6) can't. So in reality it's got better compatibility with new AI files than slightly older versions of Adobe's OWN software. In my book I feel that should get a pass for being completely compatible.

UPDATE: I notice after posting my last reply I've been remanded to having my posts moderated, that's poor showmanship, a customer expressing their honest opinion on a piece of software that Adobe could learn a thing or two from has landed me on the "Censored" list. That's just in bad taste guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple fills and strokes etc is a very new addition to Adobe even,

Illustrator 9 ... if you want to call that a new addition?

In fact due to poor backwards compatibility on Adobe's part. It can open AI files that Illustrator (CS5/CS6) can't.

You mean Affinity can open CC files which Illustrator CS5 can't? It's a pity that folks don't know about file formats these days. Affinity doesn't open AI files at all (well, maybe version 3 or 8, but not anything higher). It opens PDF. If there's no PDF embedded in an AI file, then Affinity won't be able to open it. If there's a PDF embedded, then CS5 can open it as well.

UPDATE: I notice after posting my last reply I've been remanded to having my posts moderated,

Moderation probably has nothing to do with the content of your post as long as you're not insulting anyone. Moderation can happen to anyone, even moderators. It's caused by the forum software for whatever reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 9 ... if you want to call that a new addition?

I thought you were talking about the effects panel where you can now add multiple strokes and gradients to a layer, which has only been included since Creative Cloud as far as I know.

You mean Affinity can open CC files which Illustrator CS5 can't? It's a pity that folks don't know about file formats these days. Affinity doesn't open AI files at all (well, maybe version 3 or 8, but not anything higher). It opens PDF. If there's no PDF embedded in an AI file, then Affinity won't be able to open it. If there's a PDF embedded, then CS5 can open it as well.

Affinity opens every AI file I've chucked at it without issue CC ones too, sure the project layout isn't always fully intact, but it's perfectly editable and all the layers and styles are perfect. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding embedded PDFs being required to open it. I've never experienced this and pretty sure it's just simply wrong.

Moderation probably has nothing to do with the content of your post as long as you're not insulting anyone. Moderation can happen to anyone, even moderators. It's caused by the forum software for whatever reason.

Thanks for letting me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you think they shouldn't include something like live trace in Affinity, personally form me it's the only thing I think Illustrator is good for and honestly, it could be a lot better at it if some thought was put into it.

i haven't yet found a use for it that wasn't better served by doing proper drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i haven't yet found a use for it that wasn't better served by doing proper drawing.

For those times when you don't have access to a graphics tablet, or those people who prefer drawing with real pen and paper and then want to digitise it, or digitising old artwork, just a few off the top of my head, literally tons of very useful applications, just because you don't think it's useful, doesn't mean it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you think they shouldn't include something like live trace in Affinity...

First, because with rare exceptions, auto-tracing is an amateurish practice which yields sub-standard results. Its most common use is by beginners who really don't understand the fundamental advantage of vector-based graphics, and that using it effectively negates those advantages in the first place. It just trades one kind of resolution-dependency for another; one kind of digital ugliness for another.

Second, because it's nothing new, and it's everywhere. You can even autotrace a raster image online.

I can't say I like everything about Affinity, but it's at least an attempt to start with a clean slate and restore a measure of elegance to the 2D vector drawing software genre. The last thing I want to see the developer waste time on is yet another cheesy "me, too" autotrace feature.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues importing the PSD into Illio.

The file imports with layers, however a few layers are merged onto one layer while others are fine. All layers are not within any folders. The ones that are merging are smart objects (vector) as well as a rasterized layer. The type layers are exporting as layers. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video is the best resource that I have found to address the issue. In photoshop I make sure I separate layers into folders based on color.

1- shift+command click each layer box

follow video

Converting a Photoshop File to Adobe IllustratorVector File.mp4 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the psd file in ilustrator and simply convert to object. It is best to open all layers in photoshop. some elements might be missing and therefore recreated in illustrator but the majority of your image should be there. If some layers are stuck together, try to fix it in photoshop or illustrator. If you fix it in photoshop you must open and convert to object again after saving the psd. If you correct anything in illustrator you wont have to close it, therefore you can just fix it and export it as a png (recommended)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will a CC photoshop file open in Illustrator CS5 though? I can't remember if I'd tried this already and had an issue with compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export SVG file! After import into illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines