• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file.

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this error message on dozens of my files. I can't get any of them to open!

"Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file."

Screenshot (4).png

I have Illustrator CC 2018 - The files are saved as CS6 with no PDF or attached files embedded. Only 2 linked files.

What can I do to fix my files?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

You could try to move the file to a different folder to break the link to the linked files.

Or open the linked files in Photoshop and save them as .psd.

Accor ding to this thread it seems to be related to corrupted linked files.

CS4 error message: Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand the file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i tried this but im getting the same problem. 

thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  It worked for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was getting the same error and this fixed it for me, thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRILLLLIANT! THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mate you just literally saved my day! thank you so much for posting this answer, it worked a treat! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the trick. Really annoying to have a new app and immediately have to spend all this time "repairing" a newly built file. Maybe add some instructions to the download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the workaround and for the willingness to try to fix it in future. It should, however, be noted that this is a longstanding problem and has been for more than a decade. Even the workarounds are always changing with the version. I wish the embedding just 'worked'. All the time. I've learned to just vectorize pictures where possible just so as not to have broken links to rasterized versions at some point in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This indeed turned out to be corrupted linked PNGs for me. Once I identified the PNGs and replaced them, I was able to open the AI files and resume work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone. I´m at a dead end here. Im a windows user, using latest illustrator 2020. 

I tried : 

-Ignoring the missing png´s

-replacing the missing png´s 

-Reinstalling illustrator.

All to no success. Files are in a shared online folder. Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions worked for me. I tried EVERYTHING suggested. I did find a work-around though. I opened a new document and drug the ai. file to it. After expanding it, I was able to do with it what I wanted. It's not perfect (links were missing/broken and text was kinda split) but it saved me from typing a butt-load of text.

Illustrator 24.0.2

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat. I have a windows machine and struggling with files that opened fine in cc 2019 but will not in cc 2020. I am no longer getting the option to re-linked file (or IGNORE); just "cannot read the file because the plug-in cannot understand the file." How can I get into the file?  I would like to open the file and embed my images (no more linking) into AI.  ( I just did not expect that I could not even get into the files.)   I will try your work-around.  

• Just a comment:  I have been with Adobe for years.  I love the products (...when they work which is most of the time).   It is so frustrating when you spend an enormeous amount of time doing research for a problem that crops up from an upgrade where you cannot open a file. We are all on crunch times.   
  • UPDATE:  Some files opened after I replaced some corrupt PNGs.  AI did not tell me what the issue was with that message and so I did some troubleshooting.  Everyone was talking about "Linked PNGs" being a problem and  so I went that route.  I started Windows Explorer and located where my PNG files were located. I set my VIEW to "Large Icons".   A corrupt PNG will show the ICON of whatever default program you setup to VIEW an image.  I have mine set to Photoshop as default viewer. So the corrupt PNGs showed PS Icon.  Good PNGS will actually show the image. I went to a backup and found those PNGs and copied them over.  My AI files opened.  What I learned:  a corrupt LINKED image will cause AI to not open the file at all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything listed here as well and none of the solutions worked.

The solution in my situation:

Updated Illustrator from 2019 to 2020

Now the files open without issue.

I'm just posting this for anyone else looking for solutions to this specific issue. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may happen bcz u must have downloaded files from the internet. Simply just follow the steps given below-

1. Open the image in paint and replace it with the corresponding image.

2. Open the image again in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should open your file in paint and then save it as JPEG or PNG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything and only this worked for me. Thank you. But this is still a problem.. Why do we have to spend time with paint or something? Adobe should find a solutions for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it's helpful: I use Dropbox, and often have files as "online-only" to save space on my laptop. In my case, the source of this issue are linked files which are "online-only". If I make sure all the linked files are "make available offline", then I can open the Illustrator file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i.e. the linked files should have the full green tick mark which shows they are synced/downloaded from your Dropbox cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines