• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating a rhinestone template

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there is an ability/plug-in for illustrator cs5 to allow for creating a rhinestone template?  I make custom apparel and use illustrator to create the vector artwork.  When I need a design in rhinestones, I have to send out the art to have the template created (the template is the material with the holes in it where the rhinestones will be placed.) Rhinestone creation software lets you "place" the stones in the on screen design, choosing size of stone, etc.  and then allows that design to be sent to a cutter to cut the holes in the template. If I could do it in-house, it would save me some money.  I know there are plug ins that are compatible with CorelDraw, and there is stand alone software out there for apparel decorators, but I would rather not invest in more software if I could accomplish it in illustrator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

It would help if you posted a sample image to eliminate guessing about what you're needing.

Based on what I think you've described, you just want to draw shapes and then have them filled with an array of same-sized, uniformly-spaced circles.

This is one way to do that:

That's the basic idea. You could semi-automate this by recording the steps in an Action. With a little care, you could build yourself a template that would contain a few Graphic Styles and a few Actions for specific-size circles. Yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732621

Can also be used with circles of even size IIRC

You could also take a look at the plugin Phantasm CS, which has a vector halftone function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, but this seems to create circles that are touching.  In rhinestoning, there needs to be space in between the stones, so that when it is sent to the cutter, the circles will remain intact to accept each stone. I'm not sure if there is the ability in this software to change the space between the circles, but if so, it may work.   I will check out Phantasm.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can enter a distance. Why don't you just download and try if it suits your need. It's easy to install and use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, I will try it out and post back with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work unfortunately.  Even when I specify the circles to be the same size, they are not all the same size.  Also, it is inserting the circles randomly and not in nice rows as I would need them to be for rhinestone work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we use simple doted lines, I don't remember by heart but I think SS-6, SS-10 and SS-16 Rhinestones are close to 2, 3 and 4 mm. This are the sizes we use the most, so switch you units to mm, and for example to use 3 mm stones, select your line and make it 3 mm stroke size, round cap, dash 0, and double the gap. This set up means the space between each stone is another stone. Increase/decrease the gap to play with spacing

2, 3 and 4 mm used below

rhinestoneTemplate.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you posted a sample image to eliminate guessing about what you're needing.

Based on what I think you've described, you just want to draw shapes and then have them filled with an array of same-sized, uniformly-spaced circles.

This is one way to do that:

That's the basic idea. You could semi-automate this by recording the steps in an Action. With a little care, you could build yourself a template that would contain a few Graphic Styles and a few Actions for specific-size circles. You could then design more elaborate patterns by running the various Actions on different elements.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Carlos and Jet, you have no idea how happy I am right now!! You have both addressed exactly what I have been trying to do. 

Carlos, I can use your solution when I want to create a rhinestone design for outlining objects, and Jet, you hit on exactly what I have been trying to do... you didn't even need a picture from me, I'm quite impressed.   With your solution I will be able to create the artwork that gets sent to a laser cutter which produces the rhinestone templates that get filled with rhinestones, and heat pressed onto a garment.   I can save the artwork setup fees that rhinestone template makers charge, and eventually, when I get my own cutter, be able to produce the templates myself.    There are many rhinestone software packages out there for the apparel industry, that basically sit on top of existing programs such as coreldraw. I knew this was possible in AI and was reluctant to purchase add on bells and whistles.

And Carlos, the suggestion to record the steps into actions for each rhinestone size is so exciting and practical, can't wait to give it a try.

I have a trade show in February for which I need to produce many rhinestoned garments, and with your suggestions, you have saved me money and time!!!

Thanks so much!

Patrice

Hue & Me Apparel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the line art, you don't need actions, once you have your stone sizes, drag them to the graphic styles palette, then use them as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jet I know it's been a while since you posted this but I think this is exactly what I am looking for to use in illustrator to create rhine stone designs . I tried your directions several times, but I get to the delet part and everything disappears. when i select one of the white squares, sometimes I can sometimes I can't, if I can ,then when I do select-same-fill and outline it doesn't appear to select all the white squares. If I just type text should I expand it before I rasterize? Am I missing a step? Thanks for any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the answer I was looking for however I am only able to use illustrator on an iPad. I'm am definitely new to the app but it doesn't seem like I can accomplish this unless on a computer. Please advice thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The function is not available on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi where is the way to do it? Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi where is the way to do it? Many thanks

By @Ben5E4A

Did you read the complete thread? Several methods in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pavel,

The macro shown in your response is rStones, which is what I currently use, but I use it in Coreldraw.  Does it now work with illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Yes, I ported it to illustrator - almost all features (some functioms are not compatible with AI, and some features i had to write by my self). And now it is testing time 🙂

I made some changes in bitmap fill feature, but i think people will like them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news!!  I had to break down and purchase coreldraw just so that I could use the rhinestone macros that were already in existence.  Can you be more specific as to what doesn't work in illustrator?  I'm very familiar with rstones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no: blend fill, center line fill, shape fill changed.

Illustrator has no powerclip effect, so there is no real-looking stones, only simple circles.

Some effects: there is no: equal space between two points (align to curve effect) , delete and shift (fix intersections effect), mirror effect, guide printout.

All because of illustrator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No real-looking stones is a big issue....they are needed during the design process to get a "feel" for what the end result will be, and certainly needed to create a sample to give to a customer.    I would say to concentrate on that issue first.   I know there is no powerclip effect in ai, but isn't a clipping mask the same effect?

Equal space between 2 points is also pretty important.  Fix intersections is less important as that can be done by hand.

I will consider downloading the demo, when I can find some free time.  Since so many important features are missing, I won't be able to use it for my daily designing and therefore can't spend much time testing it.

Illustrator is a very powerful program, it's used by most professionals that need graphic design features, it is an industry standard.  I would like to think that a fully functioning rhinestone program can eventually be written to work as well as those that do with coreldraw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You was right - clipping mask is what is needed in this case.

I've updated rStones - now it can create real-looking stones (but it is slower, than creating simple circles)

and equal space between two nodes I've added too....

May be you have any other ideas? I'm ready to listen and make rStones more convenient to use....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pavel,  sorry to have doubted you, but had to check with the guy I bought rstones from to make sure it was legit.  You never know with software these days.  

I would love to try out your beta verison, I just need to find the time.  I haven't used illustrator in awhile, I stopped using it when I had to purchase coreldraw to get the rstones macro.   I am thrilled you are developing an illustrator version.  As soon as I can test it out, I can give you feedback.   Creating rhinestone transfers is my main business so I'll be a good source of input for you.

Oh and creating real looking stones always takes longer than simple circles, I have found that to be true in any rhinestone program I have tried.  One of them created so many temp files that it actually hung up my machine.  They have since fixed that program, and hopefully yours doesnt create those crazy temp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pavel,

Will downloading the rstones demo for illustrator interfere with the rstones I have already downloaded for coreldraw? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rstones for ai is separate plugin.

It is not related with coreldraw version.

Get demo version from site and try it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines