Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Divide shape with line

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

haven't been on illustrator in a month or so. Just booted it up and got a new update. Suddenly I can't divide shapes with lines any more. I've tried using both selection tools. What gives?

ps the slice tool now makes even less sense than it ever did

thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working sporadically and I'm not doing anything different when it does or doesn't. Two seconds after posting this it worked. Then it didn't. Then it did. Am I just crazy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you try to divide?

Did you select a single line above a shape and choose: Object > Path > Divide Objects Below?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

draw line over shape > make sure both are selected > click divide in the pathfinder window. That's what I've done in the past without issue. And, as I said, it works once (always when I'm just frantically drawing a line over something and dividing with above mentioned procedure) and then it doesn't (when I draw a dang line to divide the portion I actually want). Maybe I'm crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not qualified to say you are crazy 🙂

Your way should work as well.

Did you restart your computer/Illustrator?

Reset Preferences (using the option in the Preferences or better by making a backup of your old one)? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines