• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double Clicking Illustrator Files Does Nothing (seemingly)

People's Champ ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I double click an Illustrator file (.ai, .eps .svg) WHen Illustrator is not running, Illustrator will open the file will load.  But once Illustrator is open double clicking files does nothing.  I have to go to File>Open and then browse to the image.  I really wish you guys would just let me purchase a stable version and stop taking my money every month and throwing monkey wrenches at me constantly. 

I'm on a windows 10 machine and obviously I am on the latest "greatest" version of Illustrator ever.  AI2017

Thanks?

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Morning,

Just wanted to let you know Adobe sent me a link to Illustrator 2018, and this issue has been fixed.

Cheers,

Scott Rays

Technical Artist

Austin, TX

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd reconfirm its associating the  chossen file types correctly  with Ai2017 .exe

At least in windows 7

Control Panel >Programs>Default Programs\Make a file type or protocol (such as .mp3) always open in a specific program.

I have to go to File>Open and then browse to the image

You could always right click on the file >Open with  etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  The files are properly associated.  Right clicking doesn't work either in explorer nor Bridge.  I have to either go File>open in AI or I can drag in.  That's all that works.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just t be clear.  It works fine as long as AI is not already open.  Once it is open: File>Open is my only working option.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:   Seems this may have been a one time anomaly.  I found a bunch of instances of Ai running as background processes.  I'm guessing an instance for each file I tried to open?  Anyway I killed them all and now everything is functioning correctly.  Something went awry but i have no clue what.   If it happens again i will follow up.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the exact same thing.  Thanks for the tip on checking for multiple Illustrator processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish wrote:

Update: Seems this may have been a one time anomaly. I found a bunch of instances of Ai running as background processes. I'm guessing an instance for each file I tried to open? Anyway I killed them all and now everything is functioning correctly. Something went awry but i have no clue what. If it happens again i will follow up.

Killing the extra instances in task manager also worked for me. Thanks for the fix!!ghost instances are only visible in the processes tab of task manager. (Click "more details" in

PS. Ghost instances are only visible in the processes tab of task manager. (Click "more details" in lower right to reveal the tabs.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

Killing the extra instances did nothing for me. It just creates another one when you double click the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close illustrator. Then kill everything then open it again.  If that doesn't work restart your computer.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this. Still happening.

Only happens when you open Illustrator by double clicking a project file though.

If you open Illustrator, then double click a project file it is fine.

Spoke to Adobe tech support, their advice was to uninstall/reinstall. I think they have been watching too much IT crowd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Same problem here. Killing the extra instances did nothing for me either. There is any solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bum p here in case anyone finds a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumped

Adobe please fix this!!!!!

i'm using win10 (latest update) and CC (also latest version), both just reinstalled yesterday. so reinstall does nothing.

None of the suggestions worked for me so far.

It's these major bugs where Adobe just does not seem to care at all, that really make me question the investment of 800 bugs a year 😞

sorry for the wine, but this has been buggin me for months now, and adobe didnt even answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that they don't care to fix it.  It's that they do not know HOW to fix it.  Adobe CC is such a massive bloated beast trying dynamically link together all these different application from all these different teams that it's just a big mess of spaghetti.   Something breaks and in there haste to patch it they break three more things because they've lost control of it.   It's a crap business model.  They are begging to be put out of their misery.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i realize that. still i'm just super frustrated with this sometime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the latest current version of IllustratorCC (21.1.0), which is the latest 2017.1.0 release.

I'm on Windows 10 (latest updates), all video drivers updated, no malware, etc. And yes Illustrator is set as the default app to open AI, EPS files.

I've replied alot longer on another post:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9486130#9486130

However nothing seems to have worked, and like many I agree that this is extremely frustration from a workflow and production point of view. I'm hoping this issue/bug gets resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harold's Mind

Please try unchecking the GPU performance ( Edit> Preferences >GPU Performance)

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning,

Just wanted to let you know Adobe sent me a link to Illustrator 2018, and this issue has been fixed.

Cheers,

Scott Rays

Technical Artist

Austin, TX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am glad that it helped!

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,

@scott - yes opening up AI and then opening files works...not really "fix" though and this has been around a long time.

About the AI 18 thing...is that a joke? If not: why fix a problem in the future that you can fix now? -> Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have the same problem and I'd like to have that link too. Can you or srishtib8795206 arrange this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rtijn,

Please check your mailbox. Please revert with the confirmation or if you require any further help.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. This program is way too expensive for the bugs I am dealing with. Please send me the link as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working for everyone.  Personally I'll wait for the official release of 2018.  The last thing I want is a program from Adobe that isn't ready for release.   Even the programs they do release aren't ready for release so who knows what you'll get with this.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi davkons,

Please check your mailbox. Please revert with the confirmation or if you require any further help.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines