• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

El Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator.... Any help would be appreciated

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts?

I was working in .ai all day then decided (probably incorrectly) to update to El Capitan.  Upon restart the issue started.

All other Apps work fine, Photoshop right click for instance.  I have shutdown/restarted/zapped user prefs/updated Illustrator....

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Hello,

We have fixed this issue in our latest CC 2015.2 update. Please apply the patch using Adobe Creative Cloud application.

If you do not see the patch right away

1. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Click on the Gear icon on the top right
  3. From the menu select “Check for App Updates”

Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse,

I believe the right order/way is to update the OS, then reinstall the applications. Was that how you did it?

If not, it may be best to reinstall using the full three step way (otherwise strange things may linger):

1) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences),

2) Run the Cleaner Tool, see link below,

3) Reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes that is the order I did them in.  But will give your suggestion a try!  Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Jesse.

i hope you will report your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

It worked!  Thanks again.

I was curious if I had to do a full clean or no, so just to see if I could narrow down the issue I tried steps 1 & 3 first

1) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences)

3) Reinstall

without step 2) to see if it would work.  And it did.  But that link you sent is a great standby in case this, or other issues come up again.

Cheers!

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Jesse.

And thank you for sharing.

I will remember to suggest the two step, too (or should I say two?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse,

If the issue has recurred (and you have Suitcase), you may try to uninstall Suitcase until the issue is sorted between Apple and Extensis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jacob,

So the issue HAS returned.... and I do not have Suitcase installed.  This could become a very annoying problem if I have to re-install Illustrator every few days.  Any other updates on this would be awesome

Thanks

J

UPDATE::: found other peoples advice helpful.... unplug 2nd external monitor (thunderbolt) and ill is now back... not a long term solution though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse,

In the meantime another suggestion has appeared:

You may get through with multiple monitors if you change line 39280 in the file FPLgraphmonitorCP.hdl with the new code "$right-click=enable;". First suggested by JuniorMadureira in post #9 here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1968683

So far, there has been no confirmation of it from others in our forum, one has tried but failed to locate the file.

I believe you may need to include hidden files and folders in a search for the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge schrieb:

You may get through with multiple monitors if you change line 39280 in the file FPLgraphmonitorCP.hdl with the new code "$right-click=enable;". First suggested by JuniorMadureira in post #9 here:

The user has not even stated if they tried this "solution" themselves. Nobody knows that user. Nobody knows if that file exists (it doesn't exist in the Illustrator package BTW). SO most probably this "advise" is not even legit. Most probably it's just a hoax.

On top of that: You don't want to advise people to edit their system files, do you? I mean after all most of people asking for help on this forum don't have too much experience with their system. I mean many of them can't even find the hidden user library. And you want to tell them to edit line x in file y? Are you serious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

Tend to agree with you here! A quick search of my files reveal nothing both in hidden and unhidden... IFF this file exists.... seems like we should not be the ones to edit it 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse, Monika,

Have have tried to search, too, and ask. So far no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and by search I mean full computer search $ sudo find / -iname "FPLgraphmonitorCP.hdl"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm having the same issue. However reinstalling is not a fix, but rather a massive workaround. What is the actual issue?

Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.1.0

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simmons,

Which exact thing goes wrong may remain unknown, unless one of our forum staff friends tells us, but I am afraid the cause is the OS change. That is a known issue through a number of (Apple) OS updates recurring in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spent all day following those instructions, and Illustrator still won't let me right click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: The OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 update did NOT solve the problem. So now we have to wait to see if Adobe will make any attempt to fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@art_director_simmons: same here. I have updated to 10.11.1 hoping it would fix it but same as before.

@larry g.schneider: after removing preferences, the right click returns (same as stated before) and on restart of illustrator right click disappears (as already mentioned before) - so same situation persists.

@james pageau: Brilliant! This has now fixed the issue. Thank you for this! I would expect Adobe sending you a gift for this one. If not, I vote they do - you deserve it!

For those interested:

1. open automator

2. create new workflow and choose "Folder Action" for type of document

3. where it says "Folder action receives files and folders added to" choose the folder WSMgrCfg (found in library/preferences/adobe...19/en_us/WSMgrCfg)

4. in the left side, choose "Files and Folders" to short list the actions

5. drag "get specified finder items" and click the "Add..." and choose the file called WSMgrCfg in the folder WSMgrCfg (it's the white file with no extension)

6. drag "move finder items to trash"

Save this workflow with any name you want such as "refresh illustrator" (anything)

And quit.

Now, it will delete the file anytime it finds it. You might want to delete the file (not folder) to get it started.

workflowsteps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for writing up instructions on the automator part...  I did not have time to explain that in detail.  Its is a hack not a real fix... but it should get us by for a while and does not seem to cause any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Np at all - all credit goes to you my friend. Agree, but isn't all software just endless organized hacks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well don’t you have to reset your workspace and prefs after doing this anyway?  Not sure I understand how this helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@debrogan: As James has found, and I have tested and confirmed, this 1 file appears to trigger the issue with the right click. Not the preferences. The removal of the preferences folder also removes this offending file. James found the needle in the haystack. By deleting just this file, you preserve all your preferences and regain the use of the right click. The caveat is each restart of Illustrator brings this file back. So, if you setup the Automator workflow, you can ensure the right click does not get affected. (or, you can simply manually delete it whenever needed - so no need of automator - until a permanent fix is issued by Adobe/Apple/whoever)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is wonderful and fixed the issue for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks guys!  Only thing I may add for those who are not 'Power Users' is this link on how to unhide ur Library folder.  Can be frustrating for people if they don't know where it is.

Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 and later

Great work and am looking forward to an actual resolution from Adobe.

cheers

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines