Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

End of path orientation

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm starting with Illustrator and i need help to solve a problem that I encounter with a logo creation project. I would like to set orientation of red surrounded end of path on screenshot.

My goal is to fit them better with the path that passes between them, as if there was a transparent margin around the path.

Fichier 1.png

Do you have a trick to do this please ?

Thanks for your help.

Jérémie

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Something like this?

tromboniator_0-1613130328404.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jérémie,

As I (mis)understand it, for each path you can simply press P (for the Pen Tool) and Click the end Anchor Point to be the end/last point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob, unfortunately that is not exactly what i need. But it's my fault, I did not express myself very clearly.

I would like to know if it's possible to cut the end of path in order to fit well with the line between them.

I took another screenshot to illustrate my words. I hope my explanations are more clear like this 🙂

Fichier 1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jérémie,

Rereading your original description after being away for many hours, I must insist it was my fault.

Luckily, Peter is able to both read and write, in the right way.

Hi Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this?

tromboniator_0-1613130328404.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly ! Thank you very much Peter !

Now I just have to learn how to use it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Jérémie! Please ask about anything you don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tromboniator,

can i ask you something else about this feature please ? I successfully accomplished what i wanted to do with my end of path with brush tool :

Logo JM Web3_Plan de travail 1 copie 4.jpg

However, i tried to apply a gradient color along the stroke the same way that on this example below :

logo-jmweb_Plan de travail 1 copie.jpg

But i can't do this, my gradient does not apply, i can't override the default color of my brush with a gradient.

I changed the color mode in brush option, but i was only able to apply a solid color.

I tried to expand my object but that did not give me better result.

Do you know if there is a method to achieve this please ?

Jérémie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, Jérémie, I have been engaged in other pursuits.

I think that if you want to apply a gradient along the shape you will have to abandon the brush. I have a couple of ideas to offer, and perhaps someone else may have a better one. The first is concerned mostly with the two longer paths, as it does not appear that the shorter one is involved with the gradient, although the same principle may be applied to it if you wish.

Convert or redraw the shapes as closed, filled paths with no stroke, select both, and Object > Compound Path > Make.

With the pen tool draw a single path along the center of the two longer paths, from the start of one path to the end of the other. Do not use a brush, but apply a stroke that is wider than the thickness of the two paths above, and apply the desired gradient along it. Send it to the back, select both the gradient path and the compound path and Object > Clipping Path > Make. If you prefer you may color the compound path white and apply it as an opacity mask (Transparency panel, Properties panel, or Appearance panel: click on Opacity, Make Mask) with Clip activated, or black with clip and invert.

tromboniator_0-1613463064152.png

2) The other option is to add custom arrowheads to be accessed through the Stroke panel. The explanation for this process is unfortunately beyond what I can accomplish tonight, but it would allow you to draw the shapes as strokes with appropriate ends, to which you could apply a gradient as with any other stroke. I had not intended to tell you to do a search for how to do this, but that’s where I’m at the moment.

tromboniator_1-1613463118013.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tromboniatoryou are amazing! Thank you so much for you answer and the time you spend explaining every step in order to give me the means to achieve my logo project.

Thanks to you I made my gradient with success, and I got a bit better at illustrator.

Good evening,

Jérémie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Jérémie! I celebrate your success.
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines