• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPS file from older version of illustrator now not editable

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a number of EPS files in 2017 using a prior version of Illustrator. Each figure/file (these are maps and graphs) has multiple layers, fonts, polylines, symbols, colors, etc, and I had no trouble editing previously. After a couple of years, and after updating my Illustrator version, I went to open one and it is just an image. What was 32Mb eps file editable and created in Illustrator is now just a useless 4Mb flat image. Any ideas how to fix this? What have I done wrong? 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Saving down to EPS 8 got rid of editability unfortunately. Saving as older EPS should only happen on top of a current AI file.

This is how EPS works: https://www.vektorgarten.de/eps-file-format-zombie.html

It's not a native file format of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still remember what kind of EPS you saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm embarassed to say I don't know what this means. An Illustrator-EPS? It has only been created and edited in Illustrator (though a previous version). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you save as Illustrator EPS 3? Or 8? Or higher? Did you flatten transparency (in case there was transparency)?

Apart from that: where did you store the file? Did you send it via e-mail? Did you save directly to a network drive or USB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika,

The files are on my Box drive. I may have moved them from one sub-folder to another within a parent folder - but nothing more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS 8 sounds correct, and yes, I believe I flattened transparency. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving down to EPS 8 got rid of editability unfortunately. Saving as older EPS should only happen on top of a current AI file.

This is how EPS works: https://www.vektorgarten.de/eps-file-format-zombie.html

It's not a native file format of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines