• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error while converting text to shape

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just trying to convert my text to shape, everytime I try an error message comes up saying object not converted. I am about to lose my mind trying to figure out why it is saying this. It wont create outlines either. I tried clicking expand that didn't help. Its just simple plain text. It wont work. Let me know. Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.41.40 PM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

It seems you are selecting something else, an square with no fill/stroke.

(Press Ctrl+Y to enter Outline View, to check it).

Click somewhere else with the Type tool, and press ESC.

You will see a different bounding box or selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Everyone was assuming that the original poster used Type > Create Outlines (which would have been correct), but re-reading this I think that perhaps they used  Object > Shape > Convert to shape (which converts live shapes to paths).

So for next time: To outline text use Type > Create Outlines and it's always a good idea to consult the documentation https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/text-basics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you are selecting something else, an square with no fill/stroke.

(Press Ctrl+Y to enter Outline View, to check it).

Click somewhere else with the Type tool, and press ESC.

You will see a different bounding box or selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved by now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate response correct. If you used any other method, you may share it with us here. It'll help other users with similar concern.

If you still have issues, try checking out this help article. Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot with Layers panel. Seelct the object and in the layers panel menu select "Find object"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and have tried so many things... I need to be able to convert this text to a shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making it Point Text instead  of AreaText.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a bit late but for future others with the same problem... I finally resolved this same issue by selecting the offending text and then going to Object: Expand Appearance - then I was able to convert and work with the text as objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everyone was assuming that the original poster used Type > Create Outlines (which would have been correct), but re-reading this I think that perhaps they used  Object > Shape > Convert to shape (which converts live shapes to paths).

So for next time: To outline text use Type > Create Outlines and it's always a good idea to consult the documentation https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/text-basics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines